PDA

View Full Version : Stella Deus: Gate Of Eternity

silvertongue
06-06-09, 11:42 PM
So I was wondering if anybody has played this game?

How did you find it? Have you finished it? How Long did it take to complete it?

Reason I ask is because I'm about 9 hours into it and for some reason I'm finding it one of the most difficult/challenging games I have ever played, lol.

:)

Ramza
07-06-09, 01:44 PM
One of my favourite strategy games of all time! :D

I beat it long ago with all characters unlocked, then I sort of forsook it because the fusion system was driving me nuts. I don't really remember how long it took me to clear it, though. I remember doing most of the optional quests, though, so it probably took me quite some time.

Where are you now? First chapter?
What's currently giving you trouble? I don't remember the first two chapters being very hard...just spam Linea, Gray and the generics and have everyone use their combos on strong enemies (Spero+Adara+Gray makes a great combo for a good 60% of the game).

silvertongue
07-06-09, 05:22 PM
One of my favourite strategy games of all time! :D

I beat it long ago with all characters unlocked, then I sort of forsook it because the fusion system was driving me nuts. I don't really remember how long it took me to clear it, though. I remember doing most of the optional quests, though, so it probably took me quite some time.

Where are you now? First chapter?
What's currently giving you trouble? I don't remember the first two chapters being very hard...just spam Linea, Gray and the generics and have everyone use their combos on strong enemies (Spero+Adara+Gray makes a great combo for a good 60% of the game).

I'm currently upto Chapter 2, I've decided to do some grinding in the catacombs which should help me out. How many levels are in the catacombs?

I was just curious to know if anybody had played it and how they'd found it. Like i said I've found it much more challenging than Disgaea, Phantom Brave or Eternal Poison (which I'm still playing).

More grinding for then, lol!

Ramza
07-06-09, 07:16 PM
The catacombs are 100 levels, but they're not available from the start. IIRC you unlock 15-20 floors for each chapter, and once you're in the last one you can take a quest to unlock the remaining floors.

I found this game challenging for some battles, very easy for others. Generally speaking, if there aren't golems involved, it's an easy fight.
Besides, there's always the catacombs to help raise your level.

Compared to Disgaea this game is pretty hard. I remember soloing 60% of Disgaea with just Laharl, and an occasional Mega/Giga Heal from Flonne.
Heck, the hardest part of Disgaea for me was the final boss...only because my main healer wasn't available >_<
I trained another healer from scratch and owned the final boss in one go.

Phantom Brave for me is insanely hard without grinding, with the characters disappearing after a set amounts of turns and all. In this game, I only had to grind for SP.

Chapter 2 is where you start upgrading your characters. It's important to get their upgraded classes ASAP since more skills become available, and some stats increase.
By Lv11-12 you should meet the requirements for rank up.
You also need items to rank up; you can get them after some story missions but you can always fuse them if you don't want to wait.

Just a random question, but are you using the generic characters?
Mercator and Clemente are especially good since they can heal, and you don't get a story-healer until chapter 3.

...and while I'm at it, try and overkill as many bosses as possible.
Most recurring bosses tend to run away once you reduce them to roughly 30% health; if you manage to kill them you receive more EXP...and a chance to unlock the secret characters :D
Overkilling the bosses is easy, just use the combo skill with Spero, Adara, Gray and Linea.

silvertongue
08-06-09, 07:24 PM
I've been using Spero, Grey, Adara, Gallant (I think that's his name), Prier & Linea mainly.
I've finally got the hang of it now, lol! Just half way through the3rd chapter now. I gotta admit though the voice acting is very boring. There isn't any emoition in them at all.
The game itself is ok but I think it's got a grim feel to it. I'll finish it though :)

Ramza
08-06-09, 11:42 PM
Heh, don't even get me started on the voice acting...
Spero's voice is especially bad since he's the main character and you have to hear him speak throughout the whole game. Avis and Viper are also pretty bad =/

Anyway, yeah, that's the best possible party at that point :D Prier is the best healer since she also has Bless; I always cast it as soon as the battle starts since it gives a sweet boost.

I never actually used Gallant though, too slow and inaccurate for my taste. If you get him to high levels, though, his high Strength whill make his Mov go WAY down, meaning he'll be able to use even stronger weapons without being penalized!

silvertongue
09-06-09, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the tips.

As for the voice acting I didn't think it could get any worse after Magna Carta, lol. Although Magna Carta is still one of my all time favourite rpg's.

Outi
10-06-09, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I have this game and I have some pretty mixed feelings about it.

Like Ramza said, the voice acting is just AWFUL for most characters, but you can always go to the options and crank the voice volume to minimum until it becomes mute.
Stella Deus isn't by far one of my favourites, I haven't even managed to beat it yet. Though I think my last save is probably pretty close to the end. The problem I have with this game is that the story is quite bland and there's no special gameplay system to keep me interested. I find it just boring.
And for a TRPG I think either a strong story and/or some special gameplay system is a MUST because the slow paced battles are gonna get really old really quick if there isn't anything else there to keep you excited.

But even though this game is a kind of lackluster there are some things about it that I really love. Like the visuals for example... I find them really attractive. And I think the overall character design in this game is really good. So at least it's pleasing to the eye even if it isn't exactly pleasing for the brain.

Ramza
10-06-09, 12:32 PM
The problem I have with this game is that the story is quite bland
100% agreed.
What starts out as an intriguing plot quickly becomes pretty stupid and predictable.
Just your usual "the church is evil" stuff, which has been carried out in a much better way in pretty much EVERY RPG in the last 10 or so years (starting with Breath of Fire II for the SNES IIRC).
There's also the obligatory "battles with elemental spirits" which make up 90% of the fourth chapter and are QUITE boring.
Lastly, there's the "evil empire" thing, because empires are always evil, that adds nothing to the overall plot. Lame.
Also the ending. I spend countless retries to get ALL extra characters, and then none of them show up in the ending?? You've got to be kidding me.

and there's no special gameplay system to keep me interested.
I'll have to disagree on this one, though.
I found the AP system to be an extremely good idea since it gives you (and the AI as well) a choice on how to spend your turn: you can attack multiple times but then you won't be able to move, or you can use up all of your AP to reach an advantageous position.
Also, the game allows you to control the flow of battle by deciding when your next turn is coming. You can make some good attack chains this way :D

Some thing I just plain HATE about this game, though, is the dumb fusion system. As in, "buy 50 items and waste half an hour fusing them together to get another item, then do it again ten or so times because the game doesn't record item recipes".
That's just stupid. Hell, it's impossible to get the correct item unless you either remember the whole process, or write it down somewhere. It's even impossible to create high level equipment without a guide.

And I think the overall character design in this game is really good. So at least it's pleasing to the eye even if it isn't exactly pleasing for the brain.
Yeah, the chara design feels awkward at first, but then it kinda grows on you.

Outi
10-06-09, 11:33 PM
I'll have to disagree on this one, though.
I found the AP system to be an extremely good idea since it gives you (and the AI as well) a choice on how to spend your turn: you can attack multiple times but then you won't be able to move, or you can use up all of your AP to reach an advantageous position.Oh yes, the revolutionary AP system which has been used in ****tons of RPGs and TRPGs at least for the past 12-15 years or so. An identical system exists in Fallout and Fallout 2 for example. And it's even called AP (action points) in those games too.

When I said "special gameplay system" I was thinking of something a bit more extravagant than that. AP doesn't exactly give me the motivation needed to play that game regardless of how much the plot sucks.

Ramza
11-06-09, 12:32 AM
Really?
I found that AP thing for the first time in this game and found it an innovative idea...guess it wasn't that innovative after all -_-'

By the way, silvertongue, when you get to Chapter 4 you'll have to face exactly the *same* battles four times (guardian fight -> spirit fight -> 2nd guardian fight -> 2nd spirit fight -> 3rd guardian fight and so on) with an occasional battle against soldiers here and there. Brace yourself, it's a major pain =/

silvertongue
11-06-09, 01:08 AM
By the way, silvertongue, when you get to Chapter 4 you'll have to face exactly the *same* battles four times (guardian fight -> spirit fight -> 2nd guardian fight -> 2nd spirit fight -> 3rd guardian fight and so on) with an occasional battle against soldiers here and there. Brace yourself, it's a major pain =/

Guess what? I've just discovered it, lol! I've just done the second one. Although I gotta say thank god for the catacombs for levelling up!

Well I can't say I'll be picking it up to play again once I've finished it. Don't get me wrong the game is ok but it ain't exactly gripping stuff. Like you said before the story starts off really intresting but it just seems to be the same thing over and over. Every conversation each character has is the same but said in a different way!

The fusions system is good but it's also kind of it's own worst enemy. You spend time creating things but there's no record of what you just fused together. Like you said they could've implemented some kind of recipe card system once an item has been created.

On a plus side the artwork is great and it looks pretty stunning and the combo/team attacks are great.

Ramza
11-06-09, 09:17 AM
Just remembered something about fusion.
Back when I was playing this game I discovered this site with a fusion calculator; you choose the item you want to create and specify what chapter you're in and the applet displays a list of the items you need and the steps you need to take to get the item :D

Here's the url: http://www.users.uswest.net/~peric1054/Fusion/

silvertongue
11-06-09, 04:06 PM
Just remembered something about fusion.
Back when I was playing this game I discovered this site with a fusion calculator; you choose the item you want to create and specify what chapter you're in and the applet displays a list of the items you need and the steps you need to take to get the item :D

Here's the url: http://www.users.uswest.net/~peric1054/Fusion/

Great stuff thank you!

silvertongue
12-06-09, 08:04 PM
Well I've finally finished it, woo hoo!!!

So 47 hours later it's finally finished. It was ok, not great but ok. I just wished there'd been more substance to the story then it would've got more of a thumbs up. I found it really challenging and actually quite hard but alas it is finished!

Ramza
13-06-09, 04:28 PM
Congrats! :)

You can still play after beating the game IIRC (or just reload before the final battles)...however, I find the catacombs to be really boring after a while (it's always the same dungeon and enemies, only with different layouts) :(

Out of curiosity, did you get all secret characters?

silvertongue
14-06-09, 12:31 AM
I didn't get them to be honest. The only one i got was the one that is given to you in one of the first quests. I just did the main story, the quests when I felt like it but spent alot of time in the catacombs but you're right they get boring.