PDA

View Full Version : Ni no Kuni

ManaAlchemist
17-01-13, 11:11 AM
Usually when i start a thread, it's pretty much because I'm very interested in the game, but in this case, I'm not.
Rather, I'm actually wondering why there seems to be so much hype around the game Ni no Kuni?

Sure, I'm quite biased since I hate Studio Ghibli movies, but at the same time, I really, really love Level 5 games. So this should at least be an okay game to me, but after playing the demo, I was convinced that this game is a horrible mistake.
Seriously, I've never seen a RPG game with such a boring system as this, which in itself, is actually quite amazing, especially since it was Level 5 that made it, who's done the awesome Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy and White Knight games. Very sad to see them make such a bad system, but I'm guessing it's because Studio Ghibli wanted it in such a way or something.

The graphics are very beautiful though, but at the same time, I think it looks weird with all those beautiful landscapes in a more "realistic" looking style, and characters in cel-shade.

Kinda guessing though that I'm very anti this game just because Namco Bandai seems to be focusing on it, instead of Tales of Xillia, which has even been out longer in japan than NnK. Looking so "childish" as it does though, I'm hoping it'll sell really damn well to kids, so that NB thinks JRPG games sell really good suddenly, and then bring over more good ones. :P

Rosalyn
17-01-13, 05:49 PM
I was really excited for this game until I tried the demo. Now I feel pretty much the same as you, just can't figure out why people are so excited and actually thought the demo was good. It sure was beautiful, but that was all it had going for it. It was awfully childish, and the combat was just terrible. :/

Black_Dragon
18-01-13, 02:05 PM
i.... just dont like the main character oliver was it?
i do like level 5 and studio glibi but... its just him thats putting me off.

Rosalyn
18-01-13, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that's his name. They probably should have gone with a slightly older-looking character, it would have appealed to more folks.

ManaAlchemist
19-01-13, 09:43 AM
Yeah, that's his name. They probably should have gone with a slightly older-looking character, it would have appealed to more folks.

I'm not so certain about that. An older main character might have gotten some more people interested in it, but I'm also guessing it wouldn't attract as many children, which I truly believe will be the main audience for this game.

I just hope that Studio Ghibli don't gets a stupid idea and wants to continue this into a series, because i want Level 5 to focus on more interesting games like a Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle sequel.

Rosalyn
19-01-13, 12:10 PM
Has it been mainly children it attracts? We need some statistics here! He looks about eight years old, whilst their usual heroes look to be in their teens. Wish they'd gone with their usual look. :|

Black_Dragon
26-01-13, 06:44 PM
I dont think dark clouds toan looked any older than oliver,
but then again .. Oliver doest look like he can do any thing ..... i guess the monsters fight for him
i saw the white witch's design as well .... yeah ... the "perfect villan" to go with oliver.

silvertongue
27-01-13, 10:58 AM
I'm quite excited for this game, anything with Level 5 is usually pretty decent.

Black_Dragon
27-01-13, 04:42 PM
I'm quite excited for this game, anything with Level 5 is usually pretty decent.

Yeah they do ... usually, with the exception of ezuma 11 (or however you spell it) but oliver will drag the game down though he seems far too kiddy like...

ManaAlchemist
27-01-13, 08:27 PM
I dont think dark clouds toan looked any older than oliver,
but then again .. Oliver doest look like he can do any thing ..... i guess the monsters fight for him

I'd say Toan looks older than Ni no Kuni's main character. Toan looked like he was like 18 or so, while NnK MC looks like maybe 10 years or so.

Yeah they do ... usually, with the exception of ezuma 11 (or however you spell it) but oliver will drag the game down though he seems far too kiddy like...

Well I haven't played Inazuma 11, so I can't say anything about them, but being "football" games, I'm guessing they might not be that likable to everyone. But yes, most Level 5 games are good. Hell, in fact they are usually great. But that is also why the demo of Ni no Kuni made me quite disappointed with the game, as the system really sucked. :(

Though I have to say, It's quite weak that Namco Bandai only brings the PS3 game to the US and Europe and not the DS game, which apparently got a better reception, cause I'd like to try it out too to see if it's better.

Black_Dragon
16-02-13, 07:26 PM
@mana really? i thought his size and voice were pretty kiddy so he ought to be either a teen or just suffering from man loli-ism

I knew Inazuma eleven would be a harbringer of death for level 5
but jeez damn Sega why do this now its been ages since the first inazuna game honestly sega have got more than enough money .... lame....

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/11/sega-sues-level-5-charges-patent-infringement-in-inazuma-eleven/
tch i still cant find any new info though

ManaAlchemist
17-02-13, 01:44 PM
@mana really? i thought his size and voice were pretty kiddy so he ought to be either a teen or just suffering from man loli-ism

I knew Inazuma eleven would be a harbringer of death for level 5
but jeez damn Sega why do this now its been ages since the first inazuna game honestly sega have got more than enough money .... lame....

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/11/sega-sues-level-5-charges-patent-infringement-in-inazuma-eleven/
tch i still cant find any new info though

Um, that report is somewhat old now, but if i remember right, Level 5 used a different system or whatever in the Inazuma games, and are not really infringing on the patent Sega are claiming. So people were saying Sega would lose that battle in court no matter what. Dunno if that's true though. But it's also kinda fun to know that Level 5 used the system they use 2 years before Sega even took the patent on whatever ever system they did. So I doubt they'll be regretting making more Inazuma games sadly. Especially since they seem to do very well in japan.

Anyways I have to say that I'm actually very surprised that the day after Ni no Kuni's release, when i was at a GAME store, they already had 3 used copies of the game. I thought most people who got it would at least give it a week or so before selling it. But it kinda shows how most people in Sweden doesn't seem to like japanese RPGs that much, when there's load of used copies of the game now here. Probably was a bad decision to have that much marketing for the game here in the stores when it launched.

Black_Dragon
18-02-13, 06:42 PM
Um, that report is somewhat old now, but if i remember right, Level 5 used a different system or whatever in the Inazuma games, and are not really infringing on the patent Sega are claiming. So people were saying Sega would lose that battle in court no matter what. Dunno if that's true though. But it's also kinda fun to know that Level 5 used the system they use 2 years before Sega even took the patent on whatever ever system they did. So I doubt they'll be regretting making more Inazuma games sadly. Especially since they seem to do very well in japan.

Anyways I have to say that I'm actually very surprised that the day after Ni no Kuni's release, when i was at a GAME store, they already had 3 used copies of the game. I thought most people who got it would at least give it a week or so before selling it. But it kinda shows how most people in Sweden doesn't seem to like japanese RPGs that much, when there's load of used copies of the game now here. Probably was a bad decision to have that much marketing for the game here in the stores when it launched.

Ah i see.....I'll still hate Inazuna 11 none the less. Well i suppose its okay to focus on the Japanese market but still would it kill them to make more console games rather than focus on the handhelds and DS

That problem isnt just in sweeden its here as well I see quite a few Used copies here now maybe i was under the impression that it was long .. i guess not?

Miss Kaoru
27-03-13, 07:01 AM
It's getting big reviews and for a game that appeals to children the Collector's Edition was gone like the wind! $300 on ebay! Seriously? I hate when people upsell items! Just like when the PS3 was first released and sold out in the stores! People were selling it on ebay for $1500! Haven't tried the demo, but thinking about renting it from Gamefly and checking out the hype! ^-^