PDA

View Full Version : Tecmo Koei buying GUST

ManaAlchemist
07-12-11, 10:12 AM
Just found out a moment ago that Tecmo Koei is buying the Atelier games developer, GUST.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/07/tecmo-koei-purchases-atelier-series-developer-gust/

Not a move I'd ever expect, but I definitely hope it'll turn out great (as long as GUST gets to keep doing what they have before). :D

Celedin
07-12-11, 01:07 PM
Well I hope that Gust's partnership with NIS America will remain and they'll still be in charge of their localisations. Considering how the internet reacts to these things, we'll probably see a statement from either side sooner or later : P

Zalwis
07-12-11, 04:22 PM
I'm on the fence right now regarding this news. If absolutely nothing changes and it allows Gust to continue doing what they do then it's fantastic news however if they'll be limited or forced into making content I'll be extremely unhappy both as a fan and as a customer. No offence to TKE but Tecmo Koei hardly has a good track record what with the endless sequels and such. And as I type this the first news I see is that they're making Atelier based social games of all things. Time to beat that cash cow for all it's worth, I guess.

ManaAlchemist
07-12-11, 05:05 PM
And as I type this the first news I see is that they're making Atelier based social games of all things. Time to beat that cash cow for all it's worth, I guess.

Don't know what to say about that. As I've never played any of those "social" games made in japan i don't know how they are, but it certainly just seems like a way to milk more money from the Atelier games, which really is sad. :(

Hopefully, they'll just let GUST keep doing what they do best, and not go as far with the milking as Atlus is with Persona 4 though (remake, fighting game, social games, live action show and so on).

And I have to say that I agree with Celedin about GUST's partnership with NIS America, even though I do really like TKE. NISA's done a wonderful job on the Atelier series so far, so I hope they can keep doing it. And for a slightly selfish reason, they do really have better limited/premium/collectors editions of their games than TK does, as all europe usually gets is the game without anything (except for the UK where they sometimes get a pre-order bonus). So it'd be kinda sad to not see those editions anymore.

Black_Dragon
07-12-11, 07:54 PM
Didnt really expect koei to do that ... thats a real surprise ,Well it should make things easier if koei if the want to add cross overs. but the question is whats really in it for koei? i assume gust is still going to be called gust

Zalwis
07-12-11, 09:55 PM
Don't know what to say about that. As I've never played any of those "social" games made in japan i don't know how they are, but it certainly just seems like a way to milk more money from the Atelier games, which really is sad. :(

You know those horrible Facebook games you see? Yeah..

Black_Dragon
09-12-11, 07:59 PM
Atelier Warriors NOW!
Maries morale has skyrocketed!
lol show some optimism people

ManaAlchemist
11-12-11, 04:17 PM
You know those horrible Facebook games you see? Yeah..

I don't really touch facebook much, so i haven't played them, but I've seen a friend play them, and they certainly seem worthless. So it's definitely sad if they're like them.

Atelier Warriors NOW!
Maries morale has skyrocketed!
lol show some optimism people

The thought of "Atelier Warriors" is actually what scares me the most about this. They are just to damn different series and I doubt they'd ever mix well, so i hope they never create an abomination like that.

Rosalyn
13-12-11, 09:29 AM
This news is an absolute disaster. I had thought MAYBE it would be okay until they released the news about it being turned into a social game. They are already tampering with it, so don't expect the next Atelier to be anything like it was before TK took over...and I've read it was more of a hostile take-over than anything.

Shame to see the series go just as they were doing so well (at least in Japan).

Celedin
13-12-11, 10:26 PM
This news is an absolute disaster. I had thought MAYBE it would be okay until they released the news about it being turned into a social game. They are already tampering with it, so don't expect the next Atelier to be anything like it was before TK took over...and I've read it was more of a hostile take-over than anything.

Shame to see the series go just as they were doing so well (at least in Japan).

Well Gust had to agree to it, they didn't have any shares in them before, so they clearly saw some benefits.