PDA

View Full Version : Soul Nomad and The World Eaters: Teams, Rooms and Characters Q&A

Vyce
05-02-09, 07:50 PM
This thread will start as a brief report of what I've learned so far as to what works for teams, amongst other things. This will be short at first, but as discussion begins, this will become a sort of FAQ and help thread as to how to kick ass in Soul Nomad. Let's begin.

Tips for Teams:

Ok, here's the deal. Want your team to kick all kinds of butt? Start with a good leader. There are many units that are leader-worthy, but here's a few units that are really worth the time:

Witches and Dracons: Awesome INT stats, very good attacks, can attack from afar, and have really nice Tactics to clean up the map. If you want to hinder while you hurt, Dracon is the way to go. If your objective is to weaken enemies directly before engaging them, use witches. Your choice.

Knights and Ghobbs: They're not that offensive, but if you want a team that can take a lickin' , these are the guys you want. Preferably paired up, so they can use their passive abilities for added DEF. Ghobbs have more DEF than Knights, but Knights have Tactics that impair enemy ACT. Again, your choice.

Priests: This may sound a bit weird, but as much as I'd recommend Knights for defensive parties, I recommend Priests. With a pair, nothing short of a nuclear holocaust can take down a good party, especially if your enemy uses magic, thanks to their passive ability. Want to gain even more RES? Set them up with some Nereids.

Gryphon Knights and Phynx Knights: They kick butt wherever you put them, can take a lickin' and have high mobility. These guys are rounded, can do pretty much anything you want them to, and are tough. What more can be said?

Bareknuckles and Swordsmen: Nice little ATK units, have self-buffing Tactics and are pretty damn speedy. Use them in multiple numbers so you can benefit from more Combos and Tactics.

Gypsies: I haven't used Bards, but Gypsies rock. Major support Tactics, can take a beating with some good DEF units, and can restore turns to others. These girls have a lot going for them.

As you can see, there are many ways of going around this. You can also use Bandits and Saboteurs for additional field mischief. It all depends on what you want to do with the team. There are many units that I haven't mentioned that are also leader-worthy. Explore and see what works for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: When accounting for range, squads with a melee leader have the advantage versus squads with ranged leaders. This is because the range of attack for all units is dependent on the range modification of the leader. For example:

We have a squad composed of a three swordsmen and six mages, then we have a squad composed of a few witches and a trio of bandits.

A swordsman has a range of 1. A witch has a range of 4. This means the following:

If the swordsman gets her range pumped to 9, it took 8 "points", since 1+8=9. This means that the whole squad took a +8 to their range.
If the Witch gets her range pumped to 9, it only took 5 "points", since 4+5=9. This means that the whole squad only gets a +5 to their range.

In conclusion, while the Swordsman squad can get all members to attack regardless of distance, the witch squad can only attack with all their members up to 6 squares away, since bandits would have a range of 1+5=6. Be aware of these facts when attacking to get the full power of your team.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you've picked a squad leader, what kind of team will you put together? Will you go for offense? Defense? Support? Balance? Here are some tips:

Keep it simple: Variety is the spice of life, but too much and the recipe goes bad. Don't try and have nine different units in your team. Keep it to four kinds at most, and you've got yourself something delicious.

Cater to the leader: You can go two ways around this: Either focus on what the leader can do, or focus on what the leader cannot do. If your leader is an ATK unit, it would be preferable if most, if not all units in the team were ATK units. That way, the leader hits a lot harder, and if his is an area attack, a lot more enemies suffer. You also can focus on using Stat-Raising Decor that help all the squad this way. On the other hand, you could also go with a few INT units to round up the squad, and be able to hit DEF units harder. If your unit's leader is a Healer, go with ATK or INT units that have a high RES stat. More RES, more healing power.

And now, some tips on Rooms:

For every star you gain while leveling up the room, up to 25, both your permanent and added decors gain a boost. Not only that, but each star will give all members in a squad a 1% boost in all stats. So, in the end, you get a room that will give you a massive (in some rooms an impressive 70%) stat boost. As you can see, choosing a proper room for your units is very important.

Not only this, but decors that take away a stat to give another effect are also strengthened. For example, the Lightsinger Room gives you a 30% stat penalty in order to give your allies (all other squads) a 10% boost. Leveling up that room still leaves the penalty at 30%, but your allies get a 35% boost. Looking back to the effect of the fully leveled room, you only get a 5% penalty (-30% + 25%) so you're getting a slight penalty while getting a huge reward.

Choose a room according to the function you want your squad to fulfill. It isn't very useful to have a room that powers up your stats in exchange for stamina when your team doesn't move all that much. Nor is it very useful to have one of your main attacking squads placed in the Lightsinger room.

This is all for now, I'll edit this as more information and time are available. Help out and discuss what works for you!

Zeriken
08-02-09, 12:38 AM
My favorite type of setup is 1-2 priests in the back (with a witch, if you can), 2-3 witches in the middle and 1-3 fighters up front. The witch is generally the leader, for longrange use of tactics on the overmap to harm the opponent before directly engaging with them.

This allows the team to be virtually immortal, as the two priests in the back will full heal your entire group.

The most unfortunate thing about this is the defense of the group. While the witches attacks are, generally, most epic in the fact that they hurt a lot, they can't really take much damage. Sometimes your opponents will hit your leader or one of your other witches with all of their longrange attacks, and you are pretty much a goner then.

I also enjoy a party of nine Dracons. Sure, they aren't something that can wreak havoc if you only have your front row, but those middle and back row dracons really devestate the opponent. Not to mention the pure strength of the overmap tactics that you have at your disposal. Remember; each of the same unit you have (Same as the leader, that is) in your group increases the amount of map tactics that the group can use.

Vyce
08-02-09, 10:56 AM
The number of tactics does increase, which is why one of my tips is to never use just one of each unit, but too many of the same unit leaves the unit either ultra-specialized with too much risk involved, or just weak (unless it's Gideons).

This is why I tend to pick a function or unit and build around that. Instead of picking nine dracons, why not pick a mix between Dracons, Witches, Schemetresses and other INT units? Sure, you lose a few uses of Field Tactics, but you gain so much more in combat, like the Schemestress' defensive ability to switch your turn with your opponent's when you're attacked.

Also, I suggest you just use "Enigma Resolved" a lot, instead of using two priests on an offensive squad. It adds more RES when units level up, so that means that you can take the hits from magic and still heal a proverbial truckload of damage.

Zeriken
15-02-09, 02:58 AM
Hmm, I see. Yea, my Dracon group is admittingly weak in battle XD. It would probably be a good idea to switch up a bit.

One of my favorite groups has a single healer in the back with two archers, three mages in the center and two Melee units up front. The melee units are just to keep the opponent's attackers from taking on my weaker mid and back units, and the witches in the middle deal massive damage to whole rows of the opponents, while I hope that the Archers take on the leader (sometimes you can get lucky).

As a side note, I normally don't pay too much attention to a room's original/permanent decor. I just make sure that the decor isn't hindering me XD. I know, I could do a lot better if I paid more attention to it, but I just don't really like to bother with it.

Vyce
15-02-09, 12:48 PM
A decor is a very important thing, especially when you level up your room.

You see, for every star you gain while leveling up the room, up to 25, both your permanent and added decors gain a boost. Not only that, but each star will give all members in a squad a 1% boost in all stats. So, in the end, you get a room that will give you a massive (in some rooms an impressive 70%) stat boost. As you can see, choosing a proper room for your units is very important.

Not only this, but decors that take away a stat to give another effect are also strengthened. For example, the Lightsinger Room gives you a 30% stat penalty in order to give your allies (all other squads) a 10% boost. Leveling up that room still leaves the penalty at 30%, but your allies get a 35% boost. Looking back to the effect of the fully leveled room, you only get a 5% penalty (-30% + 25%) so you're getting a slight penalty while getting a huge reward.

Vyce
10-03-09, 12:33 AM
I was wondering if anybody had a good idea for a squad involving Juno, her nereid companions and Danette. I'm kinda stuck with those.