PDA

View Full Version : Dian Wei

Outi
14-02-09, 09:25 PM
I don't know if it's alright to start a character thread because you feel pure hatred for the warrior in question, but... man, I hate Dian Wei.
What I don't know either is if he was any good back in the earlier games when he still used and axe, but in DW6... man, I hate him.

He's slow, most of his attacks have a poor reach, he's butt-ugly, his voice actor is AWFUL and... OH YEAH! Did I already mention that he's slow and most of his attacks have a poor reach!?
I didn't like Zhang Fei 'cause he's slow. But at least his attacks have a nice reach. He could clear a room with one swipe of his serpent blade, but Dian Wei just doesn't know how to make use of that chain he's got hanging from his ball... except if you press and hold the power attack-button. But in a tigh situation you're gonna just get your ass kicked if you try that 'cause it takes a while to charge.

The only good thing I can say about him is that he's got a decent Musou Attack.

foamy666
14-02-09, 09:38 PM
I did like Dian Wei in the earlier ones with his move set. His old moveset was pretty good against everything with some great crowd clearing moves and a few that took care of officers easily as well. His attitude has never really been one that I've liked but it does suit him and his VA's have been okay but nothing spectacular.

Now DW6 Dian Wei ugh that ball and chain has to be the worst moveset I've ever encountered in a warriors game. When I saw it I thought it could be quite nice but when I got to use it I wasn't very impressed with it all heck after I completed his Musou I never went back to Dian Wei again after that. I'm hoping he gets his axe back later on or if they keep the ball and chain they improve it as at the moment I'm not fond of it at all.

God-Like Phoenix
15-02-09, 01:03 AM
Dian Wei was one of those characters that was just fun to use every now and then...that was back before DW6, he was quite fine then, his moveset was quite effective, and his appearance and everything else was quite alright also...but then DW6 came along <.<

Sure he looked quite interesting, and his weapon looked like it could do some damage, but when I actually got to playing him, I found his moveset horrible, and quite useless to be honest...and that was sort of the case with a few of the new movesets...not to mention names though :rolleyes:

Outi
15-02-09, 09:34 AM
I just got so sick of Dian Wei's slow movements and useless attacks that I ended up playing through his entire Musou Mode on a HORSE.
Things went a lot smoother after that...

God-Like Phoenix
15-02-09, 09:48 AM
LOL, it gets a lot more smoother once you just stop using him altogether :D

Outi
15-02-09, 09:57 AM
No kidding.
I still need to get him to level 50, though. 'Cause I have to get all characters to level 50. And I really don't wanna play with him again. But I have to...
Do you have any idea how much this pains me? XD

God-Like Phoenix
15-02-09, 10:46 AM
I wouldnt know because I just didnt bother with him :rolleyes:

LittleDragonZ
15-02-09, 02:23 PM
Actually, I really didn't mind him in DW6, I found him more bareable compared to the older titles (he's always been one of the last I chose.) Though I didn't like his appearance, I found his weapon much funner to get around the field with. But apart from that, yeah, never really been a fan like I've said. And I actually think his voice is pretty decent to be honest.

Outi
15-02-09, 04:04 PM
I wonder if there are any Dian Wei fans in the world... like AT ALL?

LittleDragonZ
15-02-09, 08:01 PM
LOL, your probably right in that sense, though I've seen a few with his name or part of. I've been on so many forums and haven't seen anybody that talks and praises him so often to make me think he or she is a diehard fan. Though I've seen some use his portrait when his DW6 image was released as their avatar or signature on KOEI Warriors.

civiliza
26-02-09, 05:00 PM
I've been following Dynasty Warriors all the way back to DW2, and Dian Wei was always the first character I would go for - dodgy politics, but good fighter.

With his axe in previous games he had a nice crowd dispersing boomerang style axe throw that was particularly effective when teamed up with the lightning element.

Must say though that the Flail in DW6 is a major disappointment - maybe I just haven't got around to mastering it yet, but even getting to the end of his campaign has been an exercise is doggedness rather than enjoyment. As for Level 50? Ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. :(

Gadner Bhan
03-03-09, 04:57 PM
I really liked to use him in previous versions, I think he always was a pretty decent character. Now there's a big conflict with my opinion about him in DW6. I liked a lot his new weapon because I think it goes very well with his personality, but....man....the way he uses that weapon...it's just crap. They've made him an absolute good for nothing this time around and I'm pretty sure his at the bottom of the characters effectivness list.

He lacks in all areas: slow for either light or charge attacks, eternal recovery time for many of them, poor range, and a long part of his musou unable to chain attacks allowing enemies to block or evade it, also the last series of attacks of his musou are completly blockable ending up in a wide open stance that makes pretty usless your oportunities if you guard crush anyone with that last explosion.

And don't even think of officer surrounded situations... he becomes a pathetic punching bag... delivering one blow and recieving 4 or 5 in return and bitting the dust in no time.

It's pretty sad seeing how little work they put in him. (Well, actually in many other areas of DW6). I praise the effort to try something new, but good intentions are simpley not enough. So I would have to agree in that for Dian Wei's Sake they have to either give him back his axe or improve a lot further his style with his new one.

Jiahe
03-04-09, 02:32 AM
Dian Wei is one of those character that you won't enjoy using until he is actually leveled up pretty good. I learned that after playing him in DW5 and DW6. Despite the fact he is a very slow moving character, you shouldn't let that discourage you from using him.

With DW5, once you have his 4th weapon most of his attacks come in handy. His C5 is the most useful charge attack in the game because it breaks through enemy blockage. You can say the same thing when you use him in Warriors Orochi with his R1 special.

With DW6, unleashing his tri-charge attack makes him is unstoppable. I found it pretty useful to use in large crowds especially in Rampage for challenge mode. I am able to kill of officers quickier with that then anything else.

Overall, I find Dian Wei to be a great character to use in battle.

Fayt
03-04-09, 09:00 AM
Eh, I can't speak too highly for this guy to be honest, I've never been overly excited about him before, or after DW6.

His slower movement is bothersome, I don't really enjoy using characters slower by foot, and I find his prior weapon to lack range, and his new one to lack that real officer killing ability. I also can't stand his Musou attack in DW6, it ends with those powerful, but oh so slow bursts which normally get's defended, and since it's a slow recovery you aren't even guaranteed to get in the next hit as the enemy officer has enough time to recover after having their guard broken. >.>

Either that, or I don't use him properly, I did manage to finish his story modes in both DW5 & DW6 though, and I'm still not that keen on him.

CuckooBanana
29-06-09, 02:07 AM
I never really liked Dian Wei either. He was so boring to use. Although, his new weapon was really cool. The ball on the chain is really cool but i still think he isn't that fun of a character to use.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_9cad38a919a04db4a04ec903649b6c23/adobe-px-assets/3290b58e82ee441586d99c1ce892babd

Toco
28-08-09, 09:43 AM
how funny would it be if in DW7 they gave him a fan lol but i totaly agree Dian Wei is useless

Caosinium
07-02-10, 06:30 PM
Meh, sure is a lot of Dian Wei haters.
I, on the other hand like him a lot. You'll see learn that his moveset is really not so bad when properly leveled up. Far better than Zhang Fei atleast. I think why most people don't like him or have a certain opinion about him is because he didn't take part in a lot of important battles since he died so early. There are plenty of characters worse than him........ :D

Gadner Bhan
14-05-10, 07:57 PM
I think that the good point for Dian Wei in DW6 is that he's a character quite unique. No other has the type of weapon he uses, so, in a game dominated for sword, maces and spear fighters, he is a good option for variety. The problem is that he has a moveset so hard to use effectivly. He's slow as an arthritic gramps, his attacks have the range of a pocketnife, and his musou attack is nothing really great, specially the last attacks where he throws up his weapon an does that farting-like explosions. The recovery time is so long that you won't be able to get advantage of the guard crush you could have done to enemies surrounding you.

But not everything is bad about him. In his favor I have to say that he has incredible efecctivness with his special; he will gain inmense attack strength that will crush officers in no time, even the mighty Lu Bu. Other very good thing of him is the last string of his regular attacks at max renbu level. In my opinion they're maybe the best series of attacks of the entire game, second only to Xiao Qiao's full renbu.

I think that with practice, the use of skill-type weapons, and a good balance of charge attacks, normal attacks, guard cancel and roll evading I've come to become a good Dian Wei player.

Definitely, he is not an easy character to master, neither a balanced one. And I don't take back my words, I still think he needs further development in his new weapon moveset. But for the time being I would say that for patient and methodic players he can be an interesting character to play with.

DWForever
14-05-11, 07:55 PM
Love his Mad Bull hand axe, disappointed greatly when they gave him the old ball and chain to throw around in DW6. I get fairly annoyed when KOEI changes some of the unique weapons in the game, even if its to another unique weapon. I know change = excitement but sometimes its good to leave well enough alone.

The only good changes I've seen over the years was Yue Ying's arm blade, Zhou Yu's Staff, Sima yi's gloves, Cao Pi's long sword, and Gan Ning's double kinves.

As for the bad, there's a bunch so I won't list them all but just a few notable ones. Wei Yan's switch to a Xu Zhu like weapon, Zhang He's switch to a spear, SSX's switch to a pure (boring) bow, and Sun Ce's switch to a spear.