PDA

View Full Version : Empires gameplay?

Voz
02-03-09, 12:28 PM
Hi
I was wondering how the empires gameplay differed from the basic game? I've tried searching for the answer. I have never played any of the empires games, since I only got a Xbox360 recently. So is it RTS or do you still control your characters like in the base game?

LittleDragonZ
02-03-09, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the main game is. Beforehand though, you'll be in a strategic phase where you get to upgrade, buy troops and buy tactics. These tactics will act like the way an arrow volley and burning a base do in DW6.

When you go into battle, it's basically the same gameplay except this time you must protect your own main base and link that base through to the enemies HQ, like from fort to fort. Take that and you've got that battle won and that territory if you chose invade instead of defend in the strat phase. When defending it'll be because the enemies attacked one of your areas, so you must just survive the time limit to keep it safe.

This is pretty much what Empires is in a nutshell.

Voz
02-03-09, 04:14 PM
Damn that was a fast reply.
Thanks a lot LittleDragonZ :) , coming from koei.com's forums this is a nice change. Anyway the game sounds sweet, this one is definitely going to be a buy :) Do you know if I need a copy of the main game for Xbox360 to play this? I bought the PC version of the main game but I really want this :p

civiliza
02-03-09, 06:40 PM
The Empires games have two distinct phases.

The Strategy Phase is a bit like Risk where you position your forces on / near your borders, make Tax and Development choices, recruit and/or reinforce officers, form alliances etc. All (initially at least) on the basis of choosing which Advisor's recommendations to follow in any given round.

After that there is a stage where the other forces decide whether or not to attack you or each other. If attacked, you can choose to defend the territory. If not (or if you do not want to defend) you can choose to attack someone else's territory.

If attacking or defending, you then choose who your officers / lieutenants will be from those positioned in / adjacent to the territory in question and then enter the Battlefield Phase with these officers as per standard Dynasty Warriors.

Each battle can win / maintain the territory in question, but also whittles away the troops of the officers who fight, so some rounds it is better to avoid battle until you can save up enough money to reinforce badly mauled units.

At it's best, the games are a wonderfully engaging exercise in "If I started with this group of officers in that territory at a particular stage in history, how would I go on to rule China". With all battles a la standard Dynasty Warriors, and the option to create an army lead by your own customized officers.

At it's worst (at the higher levels of enemy AI) you end up defending the same few battlefields over and over with ever decreasing troops - and they always decide to attack your weakest border just after you have moved your best officers away to attack someone else.

LittleDragonZ
02-03-09, 08:00 PM
Damn that was a fast reply.
Thanks a lot LittleDragonZ :) , coming from koei.com's forums this is a nice change. Anyway the game sounds sweet, this one is definitely going to be a buy :) Do you know if I need a copy of the main game for Xbox360 to play this? I bought the PC version of the main game but I really want this :p
Your welcome. I'm at here or KOEI Warriors every day I can get online, so I'm always looking for these types of questions to answer for you lol. :D

And nope, you do not need the DW6 disc to play this, that's just with the Xtreme Legends titles.

Voz
02-03-09, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the help you guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this :)

Shadow0429
27-03-09, 05:37 PM
Is the 4th level weapons for each character in this game?

Cao Cao
27-03-09, 06:49 PM
There aren't 4th weapons in the regular DW6,so I think,no.

Nevfx
01-05-09, 10:14 AM
Thanks a lot for the help you guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this :)

Yeah people are very nice here.

I personally love the Empires game, I'm sure you will.

As many people have said, there is a strategy phase, where you buy troops, buy tactics and repositioning where your allied officers are to guard your borders. After this, you can choose to invade, or, if you are being attacked defend. You can do neither, and move on to the nest turn.

From screenshots, battling looks the same as in DW6, but, as mentioned, you need to link your HQ to the enemies via taking the bases scattered around. Also, I don't know what that little "stuff" in the bottom right of the screen see in screenshots is. Where you press L2 and one of the main buttons. Are they tactics?

Static
30-05-09, 09:22 PM
so is it like dynasty tactics where you get to recruit your own officers but is there empires mode and normal musou mode

Cao Cao
30-05-09, 09:36 PM
so is it like dynasty tactics where you get to recruit your own officers but is there empires mode and normal musou mode

I don't know about the Dynasty Tactics thing,but there has never been Musou Mode in Empires. Here,you play as vargant,officer or ruler. (though vargant and officer modes are new)

Static
31-05-09, 01:03 AM
kk i just havent played an empires game before

Korin
31-05-09, 02:08 AM
You play as an officer instead of ruler in DW6E? Man, I hope this game gets 10/10 ratings from game critics. Also, what's vargant?

Cao Cao
31-05-09, 08:52 AM
You play as an officer instead of ruler in DW6E? Man, I hope this game gets 10/10 ratings from game critics. Also, what's vargant?

No no,you can play either as vargant or as officer or as ruler. So three modes.

I don't know much about vargant mode,for now,it seems for me that it's something like officer mode,just not under a ruler...I don't see many differences between the two modes...I hope someone who has the game can clear it up.

Cubswin
06-06-09, 11:05 PM
Is versus mode coming back?

LittleDragonZ
07-06-09, 10:55 AM
@Korin: They are the three ranks, if you will. Ronin (Vagrant) will have the least command and will be instructed to do most tasks by his leader. Whilst the ruler will have all the abilities and control you can get. And lastly, officer would go in the middle of the two.

Cao Cao
07-06-09, 11:14 AM
Is versus mode coming back?

No,it won't come back.

LittleDragonZ
07-06-09, 11:54 AM
Oh I missed to answer Cubswin. Thanks for answering, Cao Cao.

Cubswin, both Free Mode and VS have been removed.

cheat07
07-06-09, 03:06 PM
i dont think vs has ever made an appearance in the empires series, free mode has only ever appeared once but with the ability to choose the officers in the battle it was quite cool shame it didnt reach this empires version.

The Great Sun Ce
18-06-09, 04:21 AM
i dont think vs has ever made an appearance in the empires series, free mode has only ever appeared once but with the ability to choose the officers in the battle it was quite cool shame it didnt reach this empires version.

dynasty warriors 4 empires had versus i remember beating my friends everytime:cool:

Chargone
23-06-09, 09:54 PM
dynasty warriors 4 empires had versus i remember beating my friends everytime:cool:

including one where Zhuge Liang would beat Lu Bu in a fight every single time.

silly, but awesome.