PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill series

Outi
19-03-09, 03:30 PM
I know for DAMN sure I'm not the only Silent Hill fan here!

C'mon kids! Get your steel pipes, flashlights and broken radios ready! We're taking a trip to everybody's favourite ghost town Silent Hill! And girls... be sure to take your blowdryers and hair brushes with you, all that mist is sure to turn your flowing blonde hair into a god-awful fuzzy mess.

Anyways.
I'm a big fan of Silent Hill, I've played all the games except SH: Origins and I have all the games except Silent Hill 1 and - obviously - Origins.

If I had to put these games in order, starting from my favourite and moving on to my least favourite. The list would look something like this:

1. Silent Hill 2 & 3
2. Silent Hill: Homecoming
3. Silent Hill
4. Silent Hill 4: The Room

Yeah, I can't decide which one I like more, Silent Hill 2 or Silent Hill 3. They both have their pros and cons and if you add those up, I think the outcome for both games is pretty much equal. Thus they get to share the first place.
I didn't have much love for the first Silent Hill game as you can see. I might feel differently about it if I hadn't played SH2 before I played SH1 and if I actually owned this game, but... hey, them's the luck. Sorry SH1. Maybe I'll buy on the PSP.
Also, like many other SH fans, I was REALLY disappointed with Silent Hill 4. I appreciate what Konami was trying to do with it and I think the concept of being trapped in your own apartment like that was awesome! But... oh yes, there's a big BUT... But the limited inventory, the retarded combat system and the structure of the game world sucked serious ****. Plus there are the ******* annoying ghosts that you can't kill.
And this leads me to the latest game in the series: Silent Hill: Homecoming, developed NOT by Konami's Team Silent, but by Double Helix Studios of Foundation 9... Most reviews say it sucks egg. I say it's still kicks the heck out of SH4.

silvertongue
19-03-09, 06:30 PM
Silent Hill is one of my all time fave series.

I haven't played SH Homecoming, is it good?

My faves in this order:

Silent Hill (my first ever Silent Hill game, it actually seriously gave me the creeps)
Silent Hill 2 & 3 (I can't decide with these either so they get joint position)
Silent Hill: Origins
Silent Hill 4: The Room

:)

It was Silent Hill 2 that introduced Pyramid Head wasn't it? There are some twisted character designs in the game!

foamy666
19-03-09, 07:12 PM
Ah Silent Hill it started out great but by 4 the creators realised it was on it's last legs only for American/Europeans to take it and try to beat some more life out of it and not doing a very good job of it with origins and homecoming.

Anyway Silent Hill 1 was the first and one of the only games to actually scare me and make me jump the body in that locker at the school is a prime example god that thing got me.

Silent Hill 2 is by far my favourite of the series and just about everything about was creepy about it and it had quite a few things that made me jump.

Silent Hill 3 it was alright didn't prefer it as much to the other 2 but it still had decent scares but it was starting to show that the creators were running out of ideas.

Silent Hill 4 okay by this time it was obvious they were running out of ideas here as some them were good like the room which was interesting but the ghosts they were well to easy to ignore really so wern't very dangerous heck most of the enemies wern't which made it a bit easy and the story wasn't that good either.

Origins and Homecoming sigh neither are very good as the western horror industry is not very good compared to what it used to be and compared to Japanese horror. Homecoming and Origins suffer from this and I found most of the scares to be either predictable or just not scary which I wasn't surprised and I think they should leave Silent Hill alone it's done let it rest in peace instead of trying to force more games out of it.

Outi
20-03-09, 06:51 AM
I haven't played SH Homecoming, is it good?Like I said, I think it's better than Silent Hill 4. But obviously it's a bit lame compared to SH2 and 3.

Still, I think that game had some of the best bosses in the series.
And especially the last boss had a really awesome design.

silvertongue
21-03-09, 02:14 AM
I'd love them to do a remake of the original Silent Hill for PS3/360.

What do you think of the music?

I really like this track which is from Silent Hill Origins:

O.R.T (performed by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BOLRk2xdM

Kinda sounds a little like Dido :)

Outi
21-03-09, 06:07 PM
Well there have been rumors of Konami remaking (or at least re-releasing) the first Silent Hill for Wii and PSP.

Outi
13-04-09, 08:43 AM
Last night around 2AM and 4AM I watched the Silent Hill movie... And I'm a big horror movie fan, I can watch all shorts of nasty stuff like it's nothing... But I don't know was it because I was so tired or what but THIS movie - for the first time ever - almost made me puke and faint.
I usually don't care how bad the gore gets... But if it happens to a woman or a girl, then yeah... I might care. And in this movie, we have a little girl burned alive, a police woman burned alive, a woman skinned alive by mistour Pyramid... plus some random fun with blade wire.

Especially the part where the Pyramid Head skins that woman alive... It happend so suddenly and it was so unexpected. I just paused the movie INSTANTLY after that happend and I had to go have a cigarette and think about stuff for a minute...

Edit.
Oh and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories IS coming for the Wii, PS2 and PSP.

Oddman
13-04-09, 01:21 PM
so you went to sleep eh? XD yo ushoulda told me you want to watch a movie XD

Outi
13-04-09, 08:46 PM
I only decided to watch the movie after we had quit the conversation.

Oddman
13-04-09, 09:35 PM
gotcha.

and to stay on topic: i might try this new one. was the first one really scary? after dead space im a bit more confident in myself XD

Outi
13-04-09, 10:22 PM
Oh right! You're that sissy who plays Resident Evil 'cause Silent Hill is too scary XD

I wouldn't say the first game was any scarier than SH2.
And, well... I have my doubts about the whole iPhone-business in Shattered Memories...
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/971/971316/silent-hill-shattered-memories-20090409004427249_640w.jpg
But since I don't have the original game on PS1, I'm still probably going to get the remake for PS2 and/or PSP.

EDIT:
Oh, so Silent Hill: Shattered Memories isn't an actual REMAKE. They say it's more of a MAKEOVER or a REIMAGINING... And you don't get to fight in that game, AT ALL... Well... I'll still buy it if it gets good reviews.

Oddman
14-04-09, 02:55 PM
guess ill have to wait for the reviews too.

oh and does makeover mean ....like EXTREME makeover: game edition?

als o iheard theres 50% action in the game...probably just RUNNING AWAY action..XD

Fayt
15-04-09, 01:09 AM
I played and finished the first two, and played the third but wasn't as keen on it.

Maybe I grew out of the genre, or it was just not as good, can't put my finger on which it was. The first two were quite enjoyable and scary at times, they are certainly up there with the Resident Evil titles.

Personally I love these types of games with a RPG twist the most though, like Parasite Eve, now that was awesome. ^^

silvertongue
15-04-09, 03:16 PM
I played and finished the first two, and played the third but wasn't as keen on it.

Maybe I grew out of the genre, or it was just not as good, can't put my finger on which it was. The first two were quite enjoyable and scary at times, they are certainly up there with the Resident Evil titles.

Personally I love these types of games with a RPG twist the most though, like Parasite Eve, now that was awesome. ^^

3rd Silent Hill was great and a nice change to have a female lead!

Now Paraiste Eve was fantastic! That's one of my all time fave games. Parasite Eve 2 was good but not as good as the first. I can't wait for the 3rd one to come out on the psp.

:)