PDA

View Full Version : DWG2 My first impressions

Thadius
22-04-09, 09:18 PM
Got my copy today around 9:00 AM and have taken a break to say that it is well worth the wait. The number of enemies on screen is sometimes pretty mental but gives you great satisfaction when you slaughter them with Hyaku Shiki's close range slices :)

I have played through Amuro and Char's official modes and the new levels mixed with the old (shan't tell what the new is) are very well done, and the remade versions of the original maps is fresh. The mobile armours are pretty challenging if you are not careful, I died when I fought Big Zam the first time, but they are pretty cool to fight and see in motion. I have barely scratched the surface on content though, but it has been loads of fun. One funny thing I noticed on an Amuro level was hearing Hayato shout something and seeing Amuro's little face icon in the bottom left. I don't want to go into map detail since that might be a tad spoilerish for some, so just wanna say great work from Koei again and was well worth the extra month wait. I am interested in playing the online modes with people here when everyone gets their copy, not had a look yet. Any questions ask me, there is alot I have missed out on here really from what I have played :)

Sugizo58
22-04-09, 09:23 PM
you have said online mode with people ?? how?

i don't think it is online mode as you said...Online mode is for DLC but online multiplayer mode is not available i think.

some questions:
1. Is it more difficult than DWG 1 ?
2. Have you seen or played or unlocked Friendship missions ?
3. what about the gameplay of the new 6 charges SP ?

i'll have mine in France saturday i hope, i pray for that.

Insp. Chin
22-04-09, 09:25 PM
Good one Thadius, glad you got the game today and good to hear you enjoyed it :)

Thadius
22-04-09, 09:26 PM
The online multiplayer is accessible through PSN or XBOX live. I haven't really tried going online since the game isn't officially out yet, so I don't know what the gameplay is like. There are 3 modes though but again not sure what kind of player numbers are available etc.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear :) I don't think the DLC from Japan is on the disc being details aren't readily available here and I haven't played enough yet to know.

@inspChin
Yeah thx m8 it is a blast :)

Leady FF ^^
22-04-09, 09:30 PM
its available. 3 different online versus modes right Thadius?

(glad u are enjoying it Thadius - what do you think of a Sazabi? I must admit playing the last part of Char's story I wanted to stay in the Hyaku Shiki to unlock the full moveset.).

I think as more reports come in people are going to realise that this game is one special Musou game (the best since SW2??)

Sugizo58
22-04-09, 09:32 PM
online multiplayer on a Koei Game? since when? is it a versus mode? cooperation on campaign mode? if it is the case, it is AWESOME !!

Edit: leady FF were writing at the same time. So 3 versus mode, what about them: classical 1vs1 and ...?

LittleDragonZ
22-04-09, 09:45 PM
The best since DW3 maybe. Dynasty Warriors 3 added plenty that was not in 2, and Gundam 2 has added plenty that was not in 1.

The adrenaline is just crazy, really. I've played for just over 3 hours myself.

HeavyArms91
22-04-09, 09:46 PM
I must say I am surprisingly pleased with it, been playing it since 9 am with mates.
The saving grace really are strike freedom, infinite justice and destiny gundams though.

Overall a vast improvement over dwg1.

Heres my points that i found lacked, and how to improve for dwg3.

1. STORY! yes, there's the official mode of the UC era, hurray...:rolleyes:
no offense to any UC fans, but the whole era isn't appealing to me, love the gundam designs, just not the characters and story. The whole UC story was in dwg1, why do we need it again?

Mission mode really lacked any story, original mode from dwg1 was much better story-wise, didn't really understand what was going on, but at least there was a story in place. It's very much "kill everybody for no reason" characters loosely converse about a war, but that's as far as it goes.

CREATE A GOOD TIME LINE MASH UP STORY FOR DWG3!

2. ONLINE CO-OP! I can tell you 3 of my mates aren't buying this game due to the fact there is no online co-op mode. Sure there's versus, but teamwork is far more entertaining then killing your buddies. Plus they know id win all the time. If possible, a relative co-op story would be awesome, similar to the single player story, but depending on who your characters are, the different sides you see.
Example Kira and Athrun will have a story very seed/destiny based and events/battles differ from if you were to instead play as Heero and Milliardo.
I think that would really sell this game.

THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY BE INCLUDED IN DWG3.

3. VOICE ACTING! My god! Random, incoherent, embarrassing dialogue. It is pointless and repetitive and in no way gives anything to the story (or lack there of)

Examples:
Kamille Bidan "Kamille is a man's name, AND I'M A MAN!"
Shinn "Im gonna mash you like potatoes"

What the hell is this garbage? Sort it out, keep dialogue relative to the story and if your gonna try to be funny, make sure it's funny to people above the age of 6.

4. MORE MOBILE SUITS! Of course, the most important aspect of this game, the gundams. Just simply add as many popular characters as you can, stop adding grunts, no one wants to play a grunt, wasting precious data. Definitely add the endless waltz suits and the suits from 00.

Besides all this, fookin' good job koei!

Onislash
22-04-09, 10:50 PM
All this makes me hope the game is in my store today. ( I did preorder). Im gonna mash you like potatoes? Eesh..

Thadius
22-04-09, 10:56 PM
@Sugizo
1. Is it more difficult than DWG 1 ?

It really depends on your playstyle to be honest. The grunt AI is a bit more active now so you will get hit more and the Mobile armour suits are fun to fight and do alot of damage to low level suits if your not careful, but I would say the difficulty is relatively the same, but still immensely fun.

2. Have you seen or played or unlocked Friendship missions ?

Haven't played the mission mode yet, been playing official off and on all day levelling up and getting parts for some suits you meet.

3. what about the gameplay of the new 6 charges SP ?

The charge attacks and air SP's are crucial for the mobile armour battles. Charge attacks are pretty useless against grunts on the units I have used so far, but other suits may have area effect versions. The air SP's are pretty good since units returning from DWG1 will have their original SP assigned to either the ground or air versions. In gameplay terms, every suit I have played has a Musou that has been very useful against big gangs of grunts or rivals like Char.

Multiplayer comes in 2 forms: Local versus mode(2 players) and online multiplayer (2-4 players). The 3 gametypes are:
Hunter: Some players are "hunters" and others "targets". Hunters gain points for shooting down targets. Targets gain points by avoiding being shot down, and the sides switch when a hunter kills a target.

Sudden death: The player with the most points when the time runs out will be declared the winner. You cannot boost (overheat status) and you have little health.

War mode: The first player to complete the operation objectives and earn 1000 points (or has the highest score when the time runs out) will be declared the winner.

@Heavyarms91
I agree that an online coop would be a nice addition for the series in DWG3. How can you hate the Kamille quote lol, that is gold as far as Zeta gundam dialogue goes, it does only make sense if you have watched the series though. Shinn's is a little cheesy though.

I really like the chance to play non gundam type units like the Byalant, Palace Athene and the list goes on with this game, but hell the more the merrier really. Official mode could do with adding the Seed storyline or G gundam plotline since they have plenty of new suits to add, Gundam and Mobile suit alike.

Zenelix
22-04-09, 11:56 PM
Not much longer to wait now... I'm just hoping the order I made weeks ago will get here release day (which doesn't always happen, since I have to get my games shipped over from the UK, and the postal service over here is... meh). If not, I'll have to wait till Monday at the earliest to start playing, which would mean it'd be better for me to have just gone to the shops instead :mad:

stop adding grunts, no one wants to play a grunt, wasting precious data.

:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!

I hope I get the pleasure of seeing you online so I can SMASH YOUR FACE IN WITH A ZAKU TANK.

/jk :D

I like the addition of the grunt suits. In fact, to me it's more like "stop adding gundams, no one wants to play a gundam, wasting precious data." :p The grunts are the best addition to DWG2 in my opinion.

Thadius
23-04-09, 04:25 PM
My favourite grunt the almighty powerhouse whose name is whispered in dark corners of colonies all over the galaxy..... the Ball :)

The grunts are pretty fun to play as, some do lack a full moveset but overall it is still a blast. I think DLC will be coming to the US and EU since the instruction book mentions downloadable content and to check your PS3 instructions for more detail, so if nothing else we will get the DLC missions from Japan.

Insp. Chin
23-04-09, 05:44 PM
Well in some of the Mission Mode, you are forced to use the Grants even the Ball to finish the stage ^^

LittleDragonZ
23-04-09, 06:21 PM
Just finished Amuro's Official Mode and have started one level with his Nu Gundam in Char's Counterattack storyline. I really like the Nu Gundam, too, especially helpful with it's diamond shaped field that lifts enemies for you. It lasts quite long also.

Also have tried Domon and his Burning Gundam, he's mad. But now on Kamille's Official Mode. I just can't make my mind up with so many options ahead of me. :XD

Insp. Chin
23-04-09, 06:32 PM
Hmm please refrain from copying and pasting. Put more efforts in typing man, cause the emoticon :XD doesn't work in here, so I know this is probably pasted from somewhere. You bad boy!

Source: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=8173196&t=6535274

AW11
23-04-09, 06:34 PM
Finished 1 year war from official mode. So far so good. Where is Sayla -_-?

Then I jumped into Zeta's story line. Mk.II & Zeta are fun to play with.

Haven't touched mission mode yet but looks great.

But I don't see Amuro in mission mode...I guess I have to unlock him?

Zenelix
23-04-09, 06:45 PM
Hmm please refrain from copying and pasting. Put more efforts in typing man, cause the emoticon :XD doesn't work in here, so I know this is probably pasted from somewhere. You bad boy!

Source: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=8173196&t=6535274

Nice spot, Chin! :D

I feel so left out... all you people playing the game already even though it's not officially out yet, and chances are I'll have to wait 'til next week before I can join the action.

Thadius
23-04-09, 08:57 PM
@AW11
You have to complete Char's counterattack for Amuro to unlock him for mission mode, but really just finishing all the official mode storylines will unlock plenty of characters for mission mode.

I just started mission mode after finishing all the official modes and got that shiny trophy :) So far its fun but not really got that far into Athrun Zala's storyline.

AW11
23-04-09, 10:06 PM
@AW11
You have to complete Char's counterattack for Amuro to unlock him for mission mode, but really just finishing all the official mode storylines will unlock plenty of characters for mission mode.

I just started mission mode after finishing all the official modes and got that shiny trophy :) So far its fun but not really got that far into Athrun Zala's storyline.

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait!

Insp. Chin
23-04-09, 10:09 PM
Nice spot, Chin! :D

I feel so left out... all you people playing the game already even though it's not officially out yet, and chances are I'll have to wait 'til next week before I can join the action.

Well you aren't :) At least you knew people like the game with all the positive feedback so far (oh well except for the cut music and no JP VO haha)

Onislash
24-04-09, 06:44 AM
I do want to add the annoyance of AI pilots running into MA fights, up to the MA and attacking without retreating. Problem? When the MA gets low HP most have a servere attack that hurts, and they spam the attack. Sucks when a allied pilot needs to survive, and 1 usually does.

I wont complain otherwise.

Thadius
24-04-09, 11:11 PM
I failed the mission in Hong Kong against Pyscho Gundam because of the AI Amuro running into the blast attack she performs at low health. No self preservation on their part, but thats always been in DW.

A minor gripe I have is the fact that you have to press start after every mission to allow your friend to play, why not just set it so you have to press a button for P2 to leave instead. Nothing major but when you forget because your reading a mission briefing you have to jump back a bit or remind your mate lol.

Sugizo58
28-04-09, 09:37 PM
I have my game since Monday, and one word is for this : AWESOME !!

I have done all Official Mode, and it is for me a first taste of the game.
All is better, even if the AI even if it is too much "agressive" agains Giants Mechas.

But the main and interesting mode is the Mission mode.
I've begun with Kamille Bidan and Zeta Gundam and i'm level 31 for the moment.
I begin to unlock a maximum of licences to be able to pilot others gundams, and some are available with relations and other specfic interacts. HUGE !!!
Labs are really insteresting, and it is very long to have good parts and to custom it well, cause Labs develops at the beginning very badly.
To Unlock all missions will be long, very long.
I have noticed one thing really original in the DW and i hope it will be taken in the future. The maps and ennemies are random in missions. I like this idea, instead of knowing all maps and ennemies, where to find "treasures" and so on...it gives me the feeling to be in a Dungeon RPG. It is always a surprise to be against a lot of ennemies, lots of different generals, and Giant mechas as Psycho Gundam (hard in mission with GM if you're too fast for AI allied leaders), good to take its time to do the map correctly.
I don't have tried yet the XBOX Live Mode, but i'll try after boosting my mechas and pilots.

AWESOME !!!

AW11
28-04-09, 10:37 PM
It's great game. Finish official mode and playing mission right now.

Mission mode is great, lots of stuff to unlock. Great original stories (For example Puru's story.), part 4 unlock missions are challenging (8 bars hard only mission :) ).

~~~Minor spoiler alert~~~

Regarding AI vs giant MA, yup what a pain sometimes.
Once you grasp the trick to beat the MA, AI suicide against MA won't be a problem anymore except: DARK GUNDAM.

I still try to figure out how to beat a soldier's battlefield 4. Beating dark gundam is not the problem, beat it before your AI comrade dies is.

Leady FF ^^
28-04-09, 10:38 PM
...it gives me the feeling to be in a Dungeon RPG.

I agree. There so much of the grinding/farming gameplay I like about DW in DWG2 Mission mode.

I still try to figure out how to beat a soldier's battlefield 4. Beating dark gundam is not the problem, beat it before your AI comrade dies is.

Dont tell me you have to beat Devil Gundam in a GM?

AW11
28-04-09, 10:57 PM
Dont tell me you have to beat Devil Gundam in a GM?

~~in game spoiler~~

NAH.

You get to choose other MS!! For example a Zaku! Also you can use Gofu, a Z'Gok and some other mass produced MS!

Hey don't worry you get to beat Psycho Mk II with The ball as warm up in the earlier mission!

Once you get Dark gundam under 50% armor, it starts unleash it's power and can shred your AI's MS into pieces under 2 minutes. I am not sure how I can kill it in time with a GM level MS, my Amuro is Level 40+.

But there must be a way, it's just I haven't found it yet.

Onislash
28-04-09, 11:48 PM
The way is called Small Giant, a skill. Really works. Instant Hero also looks good, but I never used it.

AW11
29-04-09, 12:23 AM
The way is called Small Giant, a skill. Really works. Instant Hero also looks good, but I never used it.

Well time for Guncannon I guess, I got Instant hero but not sure how it works...description is confusing.

Hey Onislash since you pretty much unlock everything I got a question for you.

Full upgraded rank3 part is the same as rank 4 right? The cap is still +100.

Thanks!!

Onislash
29-04-09, 12:41 AM
The reason for Rank 4 parts is that the skills on the parts apparently have higher chance to activate, according to GameFAQs.

I am guessing that Instant Hero makes Balls MAs god.

Leady FF ^^
29-04-09, 09:19 AM
~~in game spoiler~~

NAH.

You get to choose other MS!! For example a Zaku! Also you can use Gofu, a Z'Gok and some other mass produced MS!

Hey don't worry you get to beat Psycho Mk II with The ball as warm up in the earlier mission!

omg, i really want to unlock that mission then ^^

(I love the Guncannon btw, great SP attack ^^, I wish they would have a full moveset for that MS).

Onislash
29-04-09, 10:38 AM
You sure? Even with a level 50 and 30 character, I couldnt finish the mission with a friend without Small Giant. (Yazan is a great Kamikaze pilot)

AW11
29-04-09, 08:46 PM
Finished the mission, with instant hero & small giant. 1 SP attack from GM took out 40% from dark gundam...lol

nathan89ting
30-04-09, 12:42 AM
am glad somebody else noticed the Amuro/Hayato thing i thought i had a faulty disk lol

Zechs
30-04-09, 09:57 AM
I've heard a voice mismatch with the SP Combo of Zechs + Heero, they had very strange voices, like Black Trinity ones XD