PDA

View Full Version : Fav RPG(s)

Fayt
02-05-09, 11:44 AM
There are countless RPG's out there, but which one(s) are your all time favourites?

Post them there, and feel free to add a little reason as to why you love it as well.

My fav would probably be ~

Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis)
Perhaps influenced by been one of the first I played, but even today I still think it's one of the best made RPGs. A gripping story, fascinating characters - like Rune, clever use of a comic book to detail the story (as clearly movies weren't possible then). Add that with a fundamentally sound battle system and some handy side quests to take part in also, I loved it.

Shika
02-05-09, 12:45 PM
Just one ? really ? :sob:
well... mmm... one, really ? gnnnnn
sorry, but it's impossible :( I'll give my top 3 (not in order)

Final Fantasy 8
My first RPG, and I still play it from time to time. I always thought the story was great, as well as ALL the characters. They all have an interessant personality and look pretty/handsome without being extravagant (I can't bear characters like Tidus). The system was also very interesting, and you had to think to give the good magics to the good characters. It was also cool to give any GF to any character, with the affinity system. There is a lot of other reasons that make me love this game (playing cards <3 lol) but I'm lazy to write them all :p

Star Ocean 3
Since I'm lazy, I just give the link to the post about what I think of the game in the Star Ocean thread (http://www.koei.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=15646&postcount=2) :p Anyway, one of the best RPG ever (imo)

Shadow Hearts 2
Super cool characters in this game too. I find this game more adult than a lot of other RPG, and the story is very serious but at the same time there is a lot of humor. The battle system is just great ! You can't play just pressing X during all the battle, you have to be ready each time you do something. Also, in this game you have to go in evry little corner, hoping to find something :p I haven't lost my laziness, so I'll just say that like FF VIII, there is a lot of things that make this game great !

and there are a lot of other RPG I love :
Grandia
Breath of Fire 3 (4 & 5 too, but 3 is my fav)
Final Fantasy VII & X
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
Megami Tensei serie
Suikoden 5
etc.

entropy-cipher
02-05-09, 03:08 PM
In No particular order.

Shadow hearts 2 (Shika <3)
Game is simply awesome. I loved one as well, bu it just doesn't have the same magic (what is that magic? It might be a severe lack of Anastasia [and Kurando], but I'm not really sure honestly. I've started playing From the New World, but it's just not as magical for me. ._.

Earthbound
It might partially be a nostalgia bomb, but I seriously love this game. I was playing it before I could read (and admittedly not making much progress at that time, but that's besides the point.) It used a Dragon Quest like battle system, and the whole thing was set modern day. Instead of magic, you had psychic powers. Heck, the protagonist was also the best healer. (And also could SMAAAASH things with his bat, but yeah).

Mother 3
The sequel to Earthbound (In Japan, the series was called Mother. the first part of the game had different protagonists until chapter 4, where Lucas stays the protagonist. It keeps the same battle system, but adds a combo system, where if you attack to the beat of the music, you can get in more hits, up to 16. Stats had a bit more randomization, so Lucas wasn't necessarily your deadliest hitter. The story is much more enthralling than Earthbound.

Persona 4
I really don't know what to say about this. I never really found it to have a mystery aspect, but I loved the characters, and so on.

Soul Nomad
I never pretended to understand the story (particularly the ending) but this remains one of my favorite NI games. The battle system was addictive (you can believe I enjoyed grinding in this one) and Gig was the greatest thing ever.

Phantom Brave
Beautiful game, my second favorite in NI games. Battle was fun, story was interesting and beautiful.

Chrono Trigger
I know I don't need to explain more.

Atelier Series
I don't know if one would count the earlier games as RPGs persay, but at least the ones people are familiar with would count. Dunno which my favorite of those would be. Maybe Iris 3, the one that everyone seems to hate.

Ar Tonelico 2
Despite the bugginess in the US version/overall fail caused by NIS, this is a great game despite those faults. The battle system is actually fun, unlike the first game.

ManaAlchemist
02-05-09, 03:51 PM
It's just to hard to only have one favorite but here are some of my favorites.

Shadow Hearts Covenant:
As the others have said, this game is really awesome. It's got a great battle system, story and some of the best jokes I've ever seen. And i really want to start over on it but unfortunately i don't want to lose all my other games save data to the corruption bug that exists. I also like the other Shadow Hearts games but they don't really have as great characters and story as Covenant.

Tales of Symphonia:
This game might not have such a super perfect story and everything but i like it. The characters are really nice and the battle system is really fun. And i also like that you can be 4 players.

Atelier Iris series & Mana Khemia:
These games i just love for everything in them. The music, 2D style, artwork, gameplay and of course the Alchemy system which i truly love since i just love the concept of Alchemy.

Grandia:
This is one of the few games i really love but don't own my self. :( I borrowed it a long time ago from my relatives (who can't even get past the first part of the game) and it was one of the first RPG games i ever played so it's really special to me in that way.

Fire Emblem: Not the first game but the one called only Fire Emblem in europe and america (with Lyn). This game i just great in so many ways and the characters are very interesting.

Persona series (well atleast 3 and 4):
Well these games i love because of the social life interactions, music and well because they are in japanese areas (might be a stupid reason though :) ).

Luminous Arc series:
These games i mostly just love because they are TRPG games with gorgeous art. Their stories and characters are also pretty interesting.

And some others games/series i like are these
Jade Cocoon 1 & 2
NIS games (Disgaea 1 & 2, La Pucelle Tactics, Soul Nomad and so on)
Dark Cloud & Dark Chronicles
Final Fantasy VIII & IX
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean series
Breath of Fire series

silvertongue
02-05-09, 03:53 PM
There are so many to choose from.

I'd say my favourite rpgs are:

1. Final Fanatsy VII, VIII, X, X-2, XII & Crisis Core
2. Magna Carta: Tears Of Blood
3. Grandia III
4. Ar Tonelico 1&2
5. Atelier Iris Series (including Mana Khemia)
6. Persona Series (3, FES & 4)
7. Suikoden V
8. Valkyrie Profile Series (Lenneth & Silmeria)
9. Wild Arms 4 & 5
10. Shadow Hearts Series (including Koudelka)

There are just too many to choose from so I'm sorry i couldn't narrow it down a bit, lol!

:)

Outi
02-05-09, 05:15 PM
Had to give a 5-Star rating to this tread. Awesome.

Anyways.
Like Fayt said there are lots of RPGs out there. And it's really hard to pick just one favourite, so I'm not even gonna try to do that. Instead I'll pick all the ones I have a special relationship with.

Final Fantasy VI
I first played this on a SNES Emulator sometime WAY after Final Fantasy VII. I instantly fell in love with the game's steampunk style. The characters, the story, and the Esper system is just awesome. Hands down, one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Now I have it on PSOne.

Final Fantasy VII
Yeah, what can I say. Story-wise this game is just amazing. This was the first time I realized that a video game can tell a really deep story and it has the power to REALLY touch me. Plenty of times while playing ths game I've been moved to tears and it never gets old even after 20+ playthroughs. I just think Final Fantasy VII has the best story of any video game ever.
Also the Materia-system is just amazing. It was so deep and so different back in the old days. and it still feels really fresh and innovative today.

Breath Of Fire IV:
This is a true feel-good game. Even though the system itself isn't all that special nor is the story... The game just has this really appealing atmosphere and visual style to it. Plus the fishing minigame is really addictive and fun and it's got a surprising amount of depth to it.
This is just one of those games that will make me feel really good no matter how much my life sucks at the moment. You gotta love BOF4.

Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
This is most definately one of the hugest RPGs on the PS2 system. The game world is just enormous and there is so much to do, from item creation to optional dungeons and bosses... not to mention the Battle Trophies. While the story itself isn't anywhere near as good as the story of FF6 or FF7 and the characters aren't all that spectacular either... It's still one of those few PS2 RPGs that you can easily play for 400+ hours and you still feel there's so much left to explore. This game is totally addictive.
Also the battle system is really good. It might feel a bit weird at first, but once you get a hang of it, you wish all RPGs had a battle system just like this one.

Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (a.k.a. Nocturne)
Something a bit darker now. I think SMT:Lucifer's Call has one of the most interesting storylines I've ever seen in a video game. It's just something really different than anything else I've ever encountered. Also, since I've been studying a lot of religions, mythology and folklore, the theme of this game is automatically really interesting to me. Plus I found it really intriguing that the main character doesn't speak and sotry sequences are few and far between, but still the plot is presented in such a strong way that it still feels like one of the best RPG stories ever. Simply awesome scriptwriting.
Also the ability to recruit and create demons is really cool. I like to call this "Pokémon for adults" because that's what it basically is.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 & 4
While the Persona branch of the Shin Megami Tensei series is nowhere near as menacing as Lucifer's Call for example and not nearly as heavy on the religious/mythological/folklore elements, it's got something else going for it... A totally addictive social relationships system. This game is like the love child of adult Pokémon games (lol) and a date sim. And the combination works really well.
Also the trademark SMT-battle system is really cool. Using enemies' weaknesses to get extra turns and getting penalties from hitting their strong points gives these games a really strong sense of strategy.
Also really, really love the visual style of the PS2 Persona games. Simply awesome.

Fallout 3
Taking a step away from JRPGs, Fallout 3 has to be one of the best RPGs ever made. Maybe even one of the best games ever made. I've been a fan of Fallout ever since I got Fallout 2 on the PC years ago.
What makes Fallout 3 so special is the enormous game world and the freedom to play this game pretty much any way you want to. You can be a real do-gooder, a total homicidal/genocidal facist or anything in between..
Also, Fallout 3 (and the Fallout series in general) has one of the deepest character development systems of the RPG genre. You have literally THOUSANDS of different paths you can take when developing your character. And even though many fans of the two original games weren't too happy about the FPS action style of combat in this game, I think it really fits Fallout. It doesn't really diminish the game's RPG factor in any way. It just makes everything much smoother and much quicker. Also this game DOES allow a kind of Turm based combat as well, when you're using the V.A.T.S. system that freezes the battle and allows you to target whichever body part of whichever enemy you want. Here you can just string as many attacks together as your Action Points allow... and then accept the commands you've given... and watch how it all plays out.
I'd recommend this game to all fans of Japanese RPGs just so that they'd get a new kind of perspective to the whole RPG genre. Sure this game has a lot of totally brutal violence and adult themes, which might turn some people off... but still... From what I've seen you don't get an immersive RPG experience like this from any JRPG. The Fallout series' strong point has always been an amazingly deep character development system and an equally deep dialogue and story progression. You WILL want to go up to EVERY SINGLE NPC in the game just to hear what they have to say to you. And also to see what kind of dialogue options the game gives you with each NPC. Another strong point is the fact that nobody is telling you how to play this game. There basically are no rules. You can do anything within the limits of the gameplay mechanics.
I just love how you make a decision in a Fallout game and it really does impact the whole game world. Everything in the game evolves based on the decisions you make. This also means that you won't have two completely similar playthroughs in this game, EVER.

Fayt
03-05-09, 01:24 AM
It's nearly impossible for me to chose an absolute fav as well, I think I only chose the one I did as it has stood as one of my favs for the longest period of time.

I'm loving the response so far, some impressive lists there guys! =D

Some others I also love include:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2)
Some bash the way the story closed in the game, but it's about far more then that. The gameplay is absolutely stunning - it alone is worthy of constant replays, the enhancements to Item Creation (w/ the hilarious Welch) and an abundance of challenges to aim for, such as harder difficulties, post game dungeons, the arena and Battle Trophies make it a gamers delight. I like Outi probably spent 400 hours+ on it, there would only be 3-4 games I've done that on.

Suikoden V (PS2)
The series itself is excellent, but this one is a real stand out to me. I feel as though it redeemed the series from it's PSX glory days. The story is outstanding, a struggle between three nations for power - I love how it has the 3 dimensional angle like that and not just one vs the other. Then add the characters and 3 different elements of gameplay (traditional RPG battles, duals and naval battles) and it's all class.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
Again coming from an outstanding series, but the follow up of the first console title is excellent. For the first time I felt a Fire Emblem title combined an excellent story to go on top of it's exquisite gameplay. Few can deny the quality of Fire Emblem gameplay, but throw in a fascinating story where several nations are struggling for self control, revenge and power just makes it even more enjoyable to play.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS2)
Obviously another big name series, but for me this is the standout in it. The gameplay, GF Junction and wage system aren't typical Final Fantasy, nor RPG features for that matter - but I feel that is what makes it a better game. It look and feels like Final Fantasy, but plays like something else. The story was quite good as well, the opening scene with Seifer and Squall is one is hard to forget. Add the best mini game in an RPG in Triple Triad - which alone attracts many hours of gameplay you can't be disappointed!

I could easily add many others, ones that come close include:
~ All the Valkyrie Profile titles, truly unique RPG experiences.
~ Crisis Core: FFVII (currently the best RPG I've played on PSP)
~ Eternal Sonata (best RPG I've played so far on X360)
~ Grandia II (somewhat unheralded quality RPG)
~ Shining Force II (another tactical gamers joy)
~ Tales of Symphonia (best RPG I've played on GCN)

foamy666
03-05-09, 01:48 AM
Favourite RPG's hmmmm well let see

1. Fallout 2- My first RPG and still my favourite the story, system, amount to do and humor are all things I like about this game. Also Frank Horrigan is one of the toughest bosses in a game I've ever played as you can't take him on one on one you need help or you will die just shows how tough he is.

2. Baldurs Gate 2- This game is just huge the amount of quests, companions, areas it's incredible how much there is to do in this and its all done well just a pity that neverwinter nights games didn't love up to it as while decent no where near as good.

3. Shadow Hearts Covenant- My god a Jap RPG I like. I have to say the system used for things like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger and similar games has never really interested me which is why I'm not fond of them they aren't bad they just don't interest. Shadow Hearts however is an exception while the original is okay and the 3rd a dissapointment Covenant is brilliant the humor is execellent and there is a decent amount to do and the combat system with the ring is pretty good as well.

4. Diablo- I'm not a fan of the sequel to much but the original Diablo is a game I love to this day and still play quite often. The maze like levels and variety of enemies each with multiple forms each with unique strengths, powers and weaknesses without being to overpowering though your stuffed in they get you into corner is the reason I still love it.

5. The Witcher- I love the books this is based off and really like Geralts character. The game is also quite enjoyable though complex which is something I enjoy in the game and while combat is relatively simple making sure your equipped with the right weapon and stance can mean the difference between death and victory. The multiple ways the story can go depending on what you do is nice as well and adds a lot of replay value.

Yurisatan
03-05-09, 03:57 PM
1.The Witcher
Great story ,unique fighting style, well & smart created game.
2.Half-life (all episodes)
No doubt the best 1rst person shooter ever made & coolest graphics.
3.Elder scrolls oblivion IV
Excellent game, with stunning graphincs & a HUGE bucket of side missions.

Well these are the ones i remembered for the time being im sure though they are more i like.

Onislash
03-05-09, 04:24 PM
For me:

Vandal Hearts 2
Very,Very Good. Great battles, great storyline and the villain was rather interesting as I felt pity for the villain (to a extent).

Shadow Hearts 1/2
Not 3. A magazine review commented that it was a mature "Final Fantasy", which got me curious. After 1 scene it was obvious why such a comment was made. Honestly,most of the time the Judgment Ring is not needed as its to easy (BESIDE CERTAIN STATUS EFFECTS!!) until later where it becomes much harder espically the ziodyne/thundaga level magic.

Why I like it? Great characters (Yuri..) and nice boss fights later on. The storyline is too much save the world in both games for me to like it. Notable mention to Yuris inner-struggles which made for a interesting gameplay mechanic earlier in SH1.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series
After Lucifer's Call (Nocturne?) I just would say that being allowed to keep skills is a godsend. Nice story and epic bosses except for Fire of Sinai. That was just epic laughing :D

Persona 3/4
For a long time most rpgs I played were rather familiar. Then comes Persona 3. Although I hated getting tired/ 0 MP but the social links are rather interesting, espically the viewpoint of Sun in 3 and Hanged Man in 4.

Shika
03-05-09, 04:57 PM
Honestly,most of the time the Judgment Ring is not needed as its to easy
Well, you can try to reduce the space to hit to do more dammage, or try to do only critical hits, or make it invisible, etc.

I talked about console RPG only, so I'm gonna put my favourite PC RPG now :

Diablo I & II
The first has a very unique atmosphere, if you try it, you'll probably fall in love with in after a few minutes (even if the game is old now). Diablo II is not as dark as the first, but it has one of the best gameplay in the RPG/hack'n'slash world !

TES III : Morrowind
HUGE world, very immersive, with an infinity of quests. I spent something like 100h without beginning the main quest^^" I spent a lot of time exploring, with no aim, just wandering...

Guild Wars
As claimed by the developpers, it's more a "Cooperation RPG" than a MMORPG. The story is interesting as well as the gameplay. Your level won't make you win if you don't use the good skills at the good time. Plus, you can play on solo with mercenaries if you don't like people :p or if you have problems with your internet connection.

Divine Divinity
A mix between Diablo and Morrowind imo. A huge world with a lot of quests, different reactions from the NPC depending of your acts/reputation, etc...

Strongluke9
27-05-09, 11:20 PM
Dialbo 2 and RuneScape

gaiking2003
07-10-09, 11:01 PM
Just one ? really ? :sob:
well... mmm... one, really ? gnnnnn
sorry, but it's impossible :( I'll give my top 3 (not in order)

Final Fantasy 8
My first RPG, and I still play it from time to time. I always thought the story was great, as well as ALL the characters. They all have an interessant personality and look pretty/handsome without being extravagant (I can't bear characters like Tidus). The system was also very interesting, and you had to think to give the good magics to the good characters. It was also cool to give any GF to any character, with the affinity system. There is a lot of other reasons that make me love this game (playing cards <3 lol) but I'm lazy to write them all :p

Star Ocean 3
Since I'm lazy, I just give the link to the post about what I think of the game in the Star Ocean thread (http://www.koei.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=15646&postcount=2) :p Anyway, one of the best RPG ever (imo)

Shadow Hearts 2
Super cool characters in this game too. I find this game more adult than a lot of other RPG, and the story is very serious but at the same time there is a lot of humor. The battle system is just great ! You can't play just pressing X during all the battle, you have to be ready each time you do something. Also, in this game you have to go in evry little corner, hoping to find something :p I haven't lost my laziness, so I'll just say that like FF VIII, there is a lot of things that make this game great !

and there are a lot of other RPG I love :
Grandia
Breath of Fire 3 (4 & 5 too, but 3 is my fav)
Final Fantasy VII & X
Disgaea
Phantom Brave
Megami Tensei serie
Suikoden 5
etc.

please don,t say Grandia your make me cry i love Grandia
games cos we never got Grandia 3
but favs are
Grandia 1 & 2
arc
dark chronicle
atelier iris 1 ,2 & 3(i love norn)
dragon quest (would have been better if there had been battle voices in it battle but the puff puff club is the funnist thing i ever seen lol)
valkyrie profile 1 & 2 ( vp2 is better than vp1)
Final Fantasy x (i nearly shed a tear at the end of that one )
Final Fantasy XII & IX
ar tonelico 1 & 2
mana khamia
koudelka
vandel hearts 1 & 2
the legend of dragoon
legaia 2

so meny old greats rpgs
looking forward to agarest generation of war ,dragon age and white knight chronicles

razenkrautz
13-10-09, 09:30 AM
Skies of Arcadia
Wild arms series (all of them)
Xenosaga trilogy
Shadow Hearts Trilogy
Atelier Iris: Eternal mana
Persona 3

Shadow0429
22-10-09, 05:57 PM
Past Fav:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Diablo
Diablo II
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Hellgate: London
Mass Effects

Current Fav:

Demon's Souls

Ramza
26-10-09, 01:47 PM
All-time favorite: Breath of Fire III.
Great story, great characters (well, most of them), great dragon system, great skills-learning system, epic direction with even more epic soundtrack (Dragon Slayer über alles), extremely funny moments ("Come here, guardian...") and so on. Only thing that I don't like about this game is how it's impossible to save a certain someone late in the game.

Runner-ups:

Suikoden II
Crappy translation's translation aside, one of the best things to ever play on my PS1. It goes kind of downhill after a certain person buys the farm (hint: 3 consecutive battles + a gazillion arrows + 1 duel) and that's why it's just number 2. Still, there's a stunning amount of side-stuff to do and people to meet.

Final Fantasy VII
Aside from the usual 'my first RPG' crap, I really can't help but love this game. First, the customization system is simple but effective at the same time. Second, the plot is complex enough to require attention to a lot of details to be fully comprehended. The main villain is a bit meh (or a bit MOOOTHEEER, to be precise) but not everyone can be Luca Blight...

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Eh. This game blewme away when I first played it. I got it for less than ten bucks, and only because "lolDante is in it, awsum". Turns out the game is VERY dark, chaotic and brutal, and the story is compelling to a fault. Also, as if recruiting and/or creating party members wasn't enough, the main character can be fully customized in both stats and skills. Oh, and Dante turns out to be a hide-and-seek loving, not-so-tough guy with an annoying attitude, which makes it even better when you get to kick his butt.

Special mentions:

Final Fantasy Tactics: it would be right between BoF3 and Suiko2 if this thread was called "Fav (S)RPG(s)".
Racing Lagoon: an RPG where battles are illegal car races, where equipment is made of parts, chassis and engines and where your car is 100% customizable. What's not to love?
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: unimpressive plot, mediocre original tracks and cast, but the gameplay is EXTREMELY addicting. It's pretty much the only game I've played on my PSP ever since I got tired of Strikeforce (bar a couple days playing Tenchu: Shallow Assassins).