Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other Kessen II fans?

A Jolly, albeit Grey Country called England

I used to like Kessen II (don't get me wrong; I like some of the characters, including Xun Yu), but I completely hated Liu Bei and Diao Chan as a couple, because I never saw the reason why would that Shu leader idiot spends wasting his time rescuing her (personally, I thought that the relationship between Cao Cao and Diao Chan was actually better and well-written than 'the perfect couple') and that he rubs me up the wrong way, such as his personilaty all 'virture and goody-do-do'. And the plot twist; eurgh, I wanted to strangle the writers of coming up stupid ways to have something random as a basis for a storyline for no reason.

And yes, I know there's a bit about the historical part or RoTK novel part that has depictions on Liu Bei and Diao Chan, but Kessen II made me get a bad aftertaste on why love stories can be ruined by character personalities being the same and bad writing decisions.
    The answer to the secret of life? Try Googling 42.
    I shall not rest and stop bugging KOEI UK, until they WILL translate Saihai no Yukue.

^ I felt the exact same way I when I played this game.

I own Kessen II but I never really enjoyed it. The gamplay and scenes are probably the only good thing about this game. Everything else is messed up. The characters and the voices don't match the lips when talking. Apparently Zhou Yu is a chick according to my game manual where it said "She is well...". I accidently mistaken Ma Chao for a chick with rock hard abs and I pretty much hate Liu Bei in the game for being this self centered arrogant jerk who only cares about Diao Chan which by the way makes them the worse couple ever. Go Guan Yu for knocking him out! \o/

i've never played it, but i think they could have kept the storyline a bit more historical, rather than getting diao chan involved (is lu bu in it?). but i played kessen 3 and i like the style of gameplay

I haven't played KessenII in about 7 years. It was a pretty decent game, although not my favourite one.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofjiaozhi View Post
    i've never played it, but i think they could have kept the storyline a bit more historical, rather than getting diao chan involved (is lu bu in it?). but i played kessen 3 and i like the style of gameplay

If you ever played Kessen 1 you would know that the Kessen games are supposed to be sort of like "playing a movie" thus the whole fantasy story line of all three games.

I loved the whole magic and etherealness of the game but it was far far too short. The story line was condensed into basically 10 battles on each side and thus you never really got to have any of the characters fleshed out very well.

I mean honestly Liu Bei basically tears apart the Empire fighting Cao Cao for the love of his woman. Theres no real explanation for his motivation other than "He Fights for True Love!"

If it had been longer they could have taken more time over the story lines and they would have made a bit more sense. The whole plot twist in it was just stupid and unnecessary IMO.

Kessen 2 was a really good game not historically correct, but a really enjoyable game. I hope they bring out another one. Maybe Kessen 4? Return to china perhaps?

Kessen II featured outstanding gameplay, decent strategy elements and some crazy magic attacks, it was a sheer joy to play. The few historical blemishes during it hurt the game a bit, but it's still a quality game to play.

Just because its a Koei game mean it need to be 100% Historically accurate...I doubt the majority of people who buy the games look at that.

I for one love everything about it, Its my second favourite Koei game, just behind Dynasty Warriors 3

Thread Information