Thread: DWG4 wishlist

Default DWG4 wishlist

hi, i'm new to this forum. i apologize if this is a topic that has been posted elsewhere but...

i've beaten dwg3 and obtained all the achievements etc etc. as i'm sure most of you have as well. and while playing through the game, both off and online i found a number of areas that i could definitely see tecmo koei improving in the next iteration. adding more operators, pilots and mechs is a given, but for the purpose of this thread i want to focus on gameplay elements that could help improve the game as a whole.

first off, i want to see more pilot to pilot interaction. the pilots communicated with each other more in the second one and there were certain conversations that were exclusive to certain pilots. obviously, i would want to see exclusive conversations when it's a group of characters from the same series or timeline. but mix it up as well like if characters from uc are interacting with characters from another timeline. not just the same stagnant dialogue.

also, on the topic of pilots. i think it would be cool to incorporate pilot attributes into how they controlled a mech. take for instance, domon kashu; domon is a very melee oriented pilot and it shows with how he pilots burning/god gundum. but when he pilots another mech he is stuck with the same moveset as if someone other than domon were piloting it. i think changing the moveset to reflect the pilot would be a cool change. in this way, it would make you feel more as if you are playing as this pilot instead of just this mech.

more customization! it doesn't have to be anything too big. but giving the player the option to swap colors of his/her mechs would be kind of cool. or rather, in the shop, add paints as an option to buy. so if you wanted to change the color of a part or two, you could do so as long as you had paint available. this way your mechs could be more unique online. they could feel more like yours.

on the topic of online, i feel this is an area that could definitely use improvement. the current online missions are fun, but they feel more like grinding missions; grinding for g and plans. the offline co-op on the otherhand, is a blast to play and never feels stagnant. so why not, make those playable online? 4 player co-op would be very sweet in these types of maps as well(the ones that are only for 2 players). make the maps bigger to accommodate more players.

more online modes is another addition the next game needs. something similar to gears' horde mode could be cool. pvp could be cool... how about a mode where you and your friend are playing the same map, but instead of playing side-by-side, the two of you are opposing generals trying to conquer each others fields. a strait up versus mode could be cool too.

well these are my thoughts on what the next game needs. i'm sure you all have plenty as well... please give input!

I agree with absolutely everything in choudy's above post, but I'm going to elaborate on a few things.*

The thing I couldn't get enough if in this game is missions. This game could've easily had 200+ more missions. *That number may sound ridiculous but in a matter of 120 hours. I ran out of missions to play and I only played when dlc missions were available. *So a drastic increase in missions would be nice.

A big thing I want to touch on is new mobile suits and pilots. Throughout the DWG series new pilots and series'. All have been from tv series. There is another side to Gundam that has yet to be touched. This side is the manga side. There are 3 primary Gundam manga that need to be in DWG4: Crossbone Gundam, Mobile suit variation, and my favorite Gundam Seed Astray.

**I know in DWG2 Johnny Ridden from mobile suit variation was an NPC and had his own Gelgoog and in DWG3 he made no appearance whatsoever. In DWG4 he should be a playable character and his Gelgoog should be a class 1 type suit and play a lot different from Char's Gelgoog. *He should even have his own history missions and special phrases between certain characters.

The same goes for Crossbone Gundam. The Crossbone Gundam looks and performs great and would fit perfectly in the DWG series. Make Tobia Arronax a pilot as well as giving Seabook Arno his look from Crossbone Gundam. *There can be various history missions given the amount of character and mobile suits added from this series.

Last but not least the same should go for Gundam seed Astray. Lowe Gear as a pilot and the Red Frame as a playable mobile suit. The possibilities from this series can be endless depending on what characters are added from the seed universe. There could be a ton of history missions and to make it better you can throw in the blue and gold frame gundams as well.*

First post of many by me.

Well I definitely agree that there should be more Pilot interaction. Would be much more interesting than all those random comments which are in DWG3.
    And it would also be nice to see the operators to at least do something more than talk.

Gameplay wise I can't really think of stuff i want to change, as i really like how DWG3 plays, but i guess I'd like it if the "transforming" suits (like how Wing turns into a plane) had a button for it, so they could switch between the modes.

Though I definitely would like it if they removed the "push circle, square, triangle or x" during clashes. It's just annoying, especially when it can make you lose completely during the hardest challenges if you miss one.

Other than that I also really, really want 4 player local co-op! That's something that's been missing from to damn many Xbox 360/PS3 titles. Sure there's 2 player co-op, but it's just so much more fun being 4 players at least.

When it comes to mobile suits and pilots, remove almost all UC Gundams and Pilots! Sure Amuro and Char can stay, but it's really boring that most playable characters are from those series, when they are the worst Gundam series.

To me all UC gundams are quite boring, but just look at all the gundams from the other series that would be so awesome to play.

Like G Gundam's Gundam Spiegel and Nobel Gundam. Gundam Wing's Gundam Sandrock and Shenlong Gundam. Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 also has a lot of interesting suits, Turn A and Gundam X probably also have interesting suits, but i have yet to see those series. All of them seem just so much more interesting than boring UC.

I haven't read the manga series, but i also believe they have great suits too. So to me it just seems like they're wasting the potentials of the DWG games by overusing the boring UC universe. Sure in the future on the next consoles if they can have like all other characters + all UC characters, then they can put them in, but now i think they should let the spotlight fall on other series than UC based series.

All have been from tv series. There is another side to Gundam that has yet to be touched. This side is the manga side. There are 3 primary Gundam manga that need to be in DWG4: Crossbone Gundam, Mobile suit variation, and my favorite Gundam Seed Astray.
    Maybe DWG5 but not for DWG4. If you look at the DWG series as a whole, Koei tends to add at least 20+ new playable pilot slots with each new game in the series. I don't think these slots should be wasted on Gundam manga series as of yet until they fill the roster out with some more TV Gundam series pilots/mobile suits. I think at some point Koei will add manga pilots/mobile suits but I believe they should stick with the TV series right now since there are still many pilots and mobile suits to add. Also The 8th MS Team and A War in the Pocket should be the new series added to DWG4. I'll add my character suggestions at the end of my post.

When it comes to mobile suits and pilots, remove almost all UC Gundams and Pilots!
    No, no, no can't happen! You really want to get rid of Sinanju and the Unicorn, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, etc.? I consider myself as the same type of fan who prefers alternative timelines to the UC timelines but removals are unnecessary and are NEVER a good thing since they're guaranteed to **** someone off. Besides there are plenty of great pilots and suits from the UC that people will always enjoy playing as. No need for removals, there's enough space on the DVD!

You guys mention some good points about game features, so I will add mine and then some roster additions:

1) Make the charge 1 projectile attacks more relevant! Let's face it the charge 1 projectile attack is pretty useless. It's too slow and too weak! The "Headshot" skill helps this a little bit but it's not enough since charge 1 is too slow. I've heard/read many fans complain about the ineffectiveness of the charge 1 attack and how they wish they had the ability to use ranged attacks outside of melee combos. I'm not saying this game needs to actually be a shooter because it doesn't. Just make the charge 1 more useful with these suggestions to add more variety to your attack options:

---- Charge 1 attacks should be faster and more powerful. For example, regardless of a MS/pilot's shot power, it should never take 5+ charge 1 shots to kill a grunt. It should be more like 2-3. Also, it sucks to see you outrun your own rifle blast when you dash. It's even more apparent when you transform then try to fire a blast. Charge 1 as it stands now is almost pointless.

---- You should be able to "charge" a charge 1 projectile attack (like in Ken's Rage, Megaman X games, Metroid games, etc.). Hold down the Y button (Xbox 360) and release for an "enhanced" charge 1 attack (FYI: Susanowo already does this but we could really use it for ranged charge 1 attacks). If Koei wants to keep players from spamming the charge attack, they can make it deplete the SP gauge by a small amount (note: only a small amount) or something like that. If your SP gauge is empty you should still be able to perform an enhanced charge attack (depleting the SP gauge is enough of a penalty).

----"Enhanced" charge 1 attacks should vary depending on whether your MS is dashing or stationary. Typically a stationary "enhanced" charge 1 attack should be a recycled C2/C3/C4/C6 attack (if it's a good ranged attack).

For example, enhanced C1 attacks for Wing Zero/Unicorn Gundam/Heavyarms/Gundam Full Vernian "Zephyranthes" should be C6. Enhanced C1 attacks for MSs like Infinite Justice/Gundam Mk.II/Strike Freedom/Nu Gundam should be C4. An enhanced dashing charge 1 attack should be a recycled dashing charge attack in most cases (again, if it's a ranged attack). This should be fine for MSs like Wing Zero, Strike Freedom, Nu Gundam, Sazabi, 00 Raiser, etc.

If an MS has very limited ranged attacks (Deathscythe), then a stationary enhanced charge 1 attack should be something like rapid fire C1 blasts/upgraded C1 blasts or something like that (or maybe C2 would work). This attack could also be used for MSs enhanced dash charge attack if their regular dash charge attack isn't a ranged attack. MSs like Destiny and Zeta Gundam who's combos don't take enough advantage of their ranged arsenal should be tweaked to allow for sensible enhanced stationary and dashing charge 1 attacks.

---- Make RT (Xbox 360) an additional button for charge 1 and enhanced charge 1 attacks. If charge 1 attacks become more relevant, it makes sense to give players the option to map charge 1 attacks to RT. As it stands players can map charge 1 attacks to RT if they'd like but you can only map one button to a function at a time. Having the option to put charge 1's on "Y" and "RT" would give more flexibility to perform combos and fire while dashing more effectively.

2) Expand Air combat! Ok, so far we can fly by using a combination of hovering (RB on Xbox 360) with dashing (A on Xbox 360). Unfortunately, just when you're starting to enjoy flying the thruster gauge empties out WAY TOO FAST, causing your MS to fall back to the ground. Anyone who's watched a Gundam series on TV knows that Gundams actually fly and tend to stay in the air for a much longer period of time than they do in a DW: Gundam game. There's plenty of potential here to make this a much better experience with the suggestions below:

----MSs should "stay" in the air by pressing the jump/hover button twice, instead of falling immediately to the ground. Once you're in the air, click RB again to descend to the ground or hold RB to ascend higher. With that said, flying in the air shouldn't lower your thruster gauge at all.

----Thrust gauge should decrease maybe 10-20x slower than it does now. That way you can actually enjoy flying from area to area and battling in the air. The only thing that should deplete thrust gauges significantly are Emergency Dashes. Regular dashes and using RB to jump/ascend should minimally deplete the thrust gauge.

----In order to fight in the air effectively, a "real" lock-on feature should be added for engaging Aces, Mobile Armors, and grunts (not just the camera lock). A lock-on feature similar to Z-targeting from the 3D Zelda games (activated by pushing in the RS/right analog stick button on Xbox 360) to target and always stay facing an enemy would be very useful and seems to be a frequently requested feature by reviewers who tend to give DW: Gundam games high scores.

----Once a target is locked on, you should cycle through other targets by pressing left, right, up, or down on the RS. Pushing in on RS should lock onto the strongest enemy that's currently targeting you (Pushing in on RS again would deactivate targeting). Then you should have the option to select other targets to lock on by pressing Up/Down on RS to cycle through Aces/Mobile Armors and Right/Left to cycle through grunts.

3) Improve enemy AI to reflect the new features mentioned above. Enemy Aces already enjoy using melee combos and SP attacks but very rarely do we see them use other abilities already available to the player.

----Enemy Aces should be hovering, flying, locking on, dashing, shooting, using any means in their arsenal to kill you.

----Grunts should not only attack from the ground but the air as well.

----Overall, the next game should be a mix of ground and air combat together, not exclusively ground combat.

4) Improve level design to reflect the new features mentioned. If MSs can stay in the air much longer, that ability can be put to more use by including maps that contain multi-level vertical towers, buildings, to explore and battle on.

----Bring back space maps! Gundams fight in space, 'nuff said. In addition to capturing facilities on ground maps, you can litter space maps with satellites, small space stations, etc. I remember in DW: Gundam 1 there were similar areas in the space maps. Being different from the ground maps will again, add much needed (and requested) map variety.

5) Change some sound effects to be closer to the TV series.
    One of the many things I loved about Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage was the sound effects of regular punches. They sound heavy and give you the impression that your punches are really hurting the enemy.

----Slicing on the enemy with your saber should sound more like sabers slicing through metal. Currently in DW: Gundam games, when you hit someone with a beam saber it doesn't sound too much like you're hitting a MS with a beam saber. Whatever that sound is isn't a good sound effect. It should sound like a beam cutting through metal. I'm not saying mechanical limbs from a grunt unit need to be falling off before death (which is not a bad idea, like Ninja Gaiden 2), but it should at least sound right to the ears while you're attacking.

----Charge 1 shots should have an appropriate sound effect when it hits an enemy. Yeah, we're back to the charge 1 attacks again! Currently in DW: Gundam games, when you shoot an enemy with a Charge 1 blast, there isn't a sound effect AT ALL when the blast hits an enemy. With charge 1 shots already being too slow and weak, the fact that it doesn't even have a sound effect when it hits an enemy makes it feel like you're almost squirting water at the enemy. This should be fixed in the next game. It should feel like you're shooting and doing damage to the enemy! I mean even in Ken's Rage, Mamiya's arrows feel like they do more damage than a C1 attack in DW: Gundam games! That's ridiculous!

Roster additions:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam: Chang Wufei
    XXXG-01SR2 Gundam Sandrock Kai: Quatre Raberba Winner

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny

ZGMF-X56S/a Force Impulse Gundam: for Lunamaria Hawke
    ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam: Rey Za Burrel
    ORB-01 Akatsuki (Shiranui): Mu La Flaga
    ORB-01 Akatsuki (Oowashi): Cagali Yula Athha
    GAT-04 Windam: Neo Roanoke

Mobile Armor
    GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam - Stella Loussier, Sting Oakley

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

GF13-021NG Shadow Gundam - for Schwartz Bruder
    GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam - Sai Saici
    GF13-006NA Gundam Maxter - Chibodee Crocket
    GF13-013NR Bolt Gundam - Argo Gulskii
    GF13-009NF Gundam Rose - George De Sand

Mobile Armor
    Grand Master Gundam: Ulube Ishikawa
    Raven Gundam: Michelo Chariot
    Grand Gundam: Gentile Chapman

Mobile Suit Gundam 00

GNW-20000 Arche Gundam: Ali Al-Saachez
    GNZ-003 Gadessa: Revive Revival (doesn't have to be playable but should make an appearance)
    GNZ-005 Garazzo: Hiling Care (doesn't have to be playable but should make an appearance)

Mobile Armor
    GNMA-0001V Regnant: Louise Halevy

After War Gundam X

GW-9800-B Gundam Airmaster Burst: Witz Sou
    GT-9600-D Gundam Leopard Destroy: Roybea Loy
    GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider: Jamil Neate
    NRX-0015-HC Gundam Ashtaron Hermit Crab: Olba Frost
    NRX-0013-CB Gundam Virsago Chest Break: Shagia Frost

Mobile Suit Gundam F-91
    XM-07 Vigna Ghina: for Cecily Fairchild

Mobile Armor
    XMA-01 Rafflesia: Carozzo "Iron Mask" Ronah

Turn A Gundam
    MRC-F20 SUMO (Gold): Harry Ord
    MRC-F20 SUMO (Silver): Poe Aijee (doesn't have to be playable but should make an appearance)
    G-M1F (XM-0754) Bandit: Merrybell Gadget (doesn't have to be playable but should make an appearance)

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team

RX-79 Gundam Ez8: Shiro Amada
    MS-06RD-4 Zaku II Prototype: Aina Sahalin
    RX-79 Gundam Ground Type: Karen Joshua, Terry Sanders, Jr.
    MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom: Norris Packard

Mobile Armor

Apsulas III: Ginias Sahalin

Mobile Suit Gundam: A War in the Pocket

RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex": Christina Mackenzie
    MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai: Bernard Wiseman

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
    MSA-005 Methuss: for Fa Yuiry
    PMX-002 Bolinoak Sammahn: for Sarah Zabiarov

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
    Bring back every removed pilot!
    Last edited by Turbo857; 12-10-11 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added new roster additions after finishing watching Turn A Gundam

also, on the topic of pilots. i think it would be cool to incorporate pilot attributes into how they controlled a mech. take for instance, domon kashu; domon is a very melee oriented pilot and it shows with how he pilots burning/god gundum. but when he pilots another mech he is stuck with the same moveset as if someone other than domon were piloting it. i think changing the moveset to reflect the pilot would be a cool change. in this way, it would make you feel more as if you are playing as this pilot instead of just this mech.
    I see what you mean, but this would be extremely tough to do and in my opinion unnecessary. The moveset of each Mobile Suit is largely (if not completely) tailored to the weapons armed on that particular Mobile Suit. In reference to the example you provided, the Burning Gundam's moveset is very melee based, not because Domon Kasshu is a melee oriented pilot but because the Burning Gundam doesn't really have any ranged weapons accept its vulcans. Another pilot is not going to make the Burning Gundam more of a ranged MS when it doesn't have the weapons to do so. When you consider the individual movesets of all of the mobile suits, Koei really did do a good job to incorporate their weapons into their combos.

The mobile suits are designed to be the true characters of the game and pilots are there to give personality and context. If you're looking for pilots to make more of a difference, maybe they should have a personalized exclusive skill that no other pilot has that can be applied to any mobile suit they pilot. That seems more feasible in my opinion.

I'm tired of seeing the same damn robots in every Gundam game. I don't really care about my favorites being playable or not, but I would rather use a lesser-known unit like Ebirhu-S or a variation like ReGZ Custom than the same old damn RX-78-2. Extra points if their movesets change (if slightly) based on the pilot.

Expanding on melee fighters would be a great idea, too, since range attacks aren't DW's finest aspect. Stuff like Rising, Nataku, GM Striker or Belga Giros would be welcome.

I don't think KOEI is very good with character interactions, to be honest. I'd rather they removed the pointless "those who <verb>" scenarios and just made classic stories like in DWG2.
    "We're getting wet. In a shower. Because, basically, we talked it over, Chastity and myself, and we came to the conclusion that civilization is nothing more than an effective sewage system. And so by the use of plumbing we hope to demonstrate this to the world." ~ Ron Nasty

if the suit is not a ace you don't need to play it and some DW gundams like lu bu gundam

I think they need to incorporate an EX attack system like DW7 so that you are encouraged to pilot gundams with their actual pilot.

Maybe include some other stats that will make pilots actually feel unique. For instance accuracy.
    http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net/
    Discuss Anime, Video Games, Movies or whatever is on your mind.
    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/5/5f/LuffyStanceGear2nd.gif

My youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/superbuu3

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Wing Zero Custom
    Gundam Deathscythe Hell Custom
    Tallgeese III
    Altron Gundam Custom
    Gundam Heavyarms Custom
    Gundam Sandrock Custom

For the actual game to come out lol

It's been close to 2 years since 3, so the JP release shouldn't be far off if they plan to make DWG4.

Thread Information