Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring Us PS1/PS2 Classics (Please!)

Default Bring Us PS1/PS2 Classics (Please!)

Hi!

As I'm sure everyone who owns a PlayStation 3 knows, You can get old PS1 and PS2 games digitally through PSN. But calling the catalogue of those games "steadily growing" is an overstatement. Whenever anyone complains in the PSN Store Update blog posts on PlayStation Blog about the lack of new Classics releases, we are told that it's all up to the publishers and that we should pester them. Whenever anyone asks about whether or not a certain game is in the works, we are told to pester the publishers.

So, here I am, ready to pester Tecmo-Koei to re-release their PS1/PS2 catalogue as digital downloads on PSN. And, boy, is that catalogue swelling with classics or what! Ar Tonelico, Atelier Iris, Dead or Alive, Deception, Disgaea, Devil Summoner, Dynasty Warriors, Gitaroo Man, Grim Grimoire, Kessen, Monster Rancher, Persona 3 FES, Project Zero, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi and others. Too many to list without this looking like spam. The demand is definitely there, especially for Persona 3 FES, since the US PSN Store got it a few weeks back. But every game in Tecmo-Koei's catalogue is worthy of getting a new digital lease on life.

A game publisher's job is to make games available to potential customers. In this day and age, digital distribution is a very efficient way of achieving this. One of its advantages is that it provides an unlimited supply of copies for everyone. It should be in Tecmo-Koei's best interest to embrace this distribution channel and make some easy money off of games that have already been made. It should be in Tecmo-Koei's best interest to do its job.

Are You with me on this? Would You like PlayStation gamers to have easy access to an unlimited supply of Tecmo-Koei classics on PSN?

You're right!

I know I am. But this is the only official place where I can voice this opinion. Do people from Tecmo-Koei read these forums?

One can only hope so.

Just wanna bump it up.

I've been waiting FOREVER for Persona 3 FES to hit the PSN store. When it did - it was only in the US. Since then I was asking and asking the PSN blog people quite often.

Please consider making P3 FES and other games you distribute in the EU available on the PSN Store.

Cheers.

And they have listened!
    Today, 30th January 2013, Tecmo-Koei Europe released six PS2 Classics! Each for the price of 10 Euros or 8 Pounds or Your respective local price equivalent.

They are as follows:
    • Dynasty Warriors 4
    • Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
    • Dynasty Warriors 5
    • Kessen III
    • Samurai Warriors 2
    • Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

The one blemish on this otherwise good piece of news is that the games are not available in these countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine. Which is a lot. I suspect it's because of the usual reason - that the metadata for the releases hasn't been translated into the languages of the respective store fronts. I hope that gets remedied soon. Sometimes I have to count my blessings that the Czech Republic is too small a market to bother with translating the PlayStation Store. Since we have to settle for the English language, we get almost all the releases with the only exception being Rock Band 3 content and other similarly license-tricky stuff.

Regardless, there are still way too many games to go, many of them imports:
    • Atelier Iris trilogy
    • Crimson Sea 2
    • Dead or Alive 1 & 2
    • the Deception series
    • Destrega
    • Disgaea 1 & 2
    • the other Dynasty Warriors and Dynasty Tactics games
    • Gitaroo Man
    • Grimgrimoire
    • Kessen I & II
    • La Pucelle: Tactics (already released in the US)
    • Makai Kingdom
    • the Monster Rancher series
    • Nobunaga's Ambition games
    • Operation Winback 1 & 2
    • Phantom Brave
    • Project Zero trilogy
    • Romance of the Three Kingdoms series
    • Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
    • the other Samurai Warriors games
    • Saiyuki: Journey West
    • SMT: Devil Summoner and Persona 3 FES (THIS IS MANDATORY!!!)
    • Tecmo stackers
    • Tecmo Super Bowl
    • Warriors Orochi 1 & 2
    Last edited by Big Pája; 28-02-13 at 09:46 PM.

So, does anyone know roughly when the games will be released in the excluded countries (such as Denmark)? I'm not asking to be rude or to rush anything. I'm just wondering

That's all up to Tecmo-Koei, to be brutally honest. It is their job to supply the metadata in the required languages and unless they do so, the games cannot be published on the respective store fronts. I looked at the online version of the PlayStation Store and indeed all those countries mentioned above have store fronts in their respective languages. The only exception is the Ukraine. It may be that licensing is the problem over there but I'm absolutely sure that metadata is the problem everywhere else.

There were two more additions to the PS2 Classics stable by Tecmo-Koei this week. The first was Warriors Orochi, which was on my list. The second was G1 Jockey 4. That one wasn't on my list but I'm glad to see it regardless. There will definitely be people who will want to buy it and it's only possible because T-K brought it.

Sadly, the availability of these two titles is the same as with the previous batch.

So from what I've heard, there seems to be problems when using Musou attacks (IN SW2 Empires). It apparently freezes. Sad since that was the one I was most interested in :/

Thread Information