Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dian Wei

Default Former Diehard Dian Wei Fan

I've been following Dynasty Warriors all the way back to DW2, and Dian Wei was always the first character I would go for - dodgy politics, but good fighter.

With his axe in previous games he had a nice crowd dispersing boomerang style axe throw that was particularly effective when teamed up with the lightning element.

Must say though that the Flail in DW6 is a major disappointment - maybe I just haven't got around to mastering it yet, but even getting to the end of his campaign has been an exercise is doggedness rather than enjoyment. As for Level 50? Ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.

I really liked to use him in previous versions, I think he always was a pretty decent character. Now there's a big conflict with my opinion about him in DW6. I liked a lot his new weapon because I think it goes very well with his personality, but....man....the way he uses that weapon...it's just crap. They've made him an absolute good for nothing this time around and I'm pretty sure his at the bottom of the characters effectivness list.

He lacks in all areas: slow for either light or charge attacks, eternal recovery time for many of them, poor range, and a long part of his musou unable to chain attacks allowing enemies to block or evade it, also the last series of attacks of his musou are completly blockable ending up in a wide open stance that makes pretty usless your oportunities if you guard crush anyone with that last explosion.

And don't even think of officer surrounded situations... he becomes a pathetic punching bag... delivering one blow and recieving 4 or 5 in return and bitting the dust in no time.

It's pretty sad seeing how little work they put in him. (Well, actually in many other areas of DW6). I praise the effort to try something new, but good intentions are simpley not enough. So I would have to agree in that for Dian Wei's Sake they have to either give him back his axe or improve a lot further his style with his new one.
    Last edited by Gadner Bhan; 03-03-09 at 08:09 PM.

Dian Wei is one of those character that you won't enjoy using until he is actually leveled up pretty good. I learned that after playing him in DW5 and DW6. Despite the fact he is a very slow moving character, you shouldn't let that discourage you from using him.

With DW5, once you have his 4th weapon most of his attacks come in handy. His C5 is the most useful charge attack in the game because it breaks through enemy blockage. You can say the same thing when you use him in Warriors Orochi with his R1 special.

With DW6, unleashing his tri-charge attack makes him is unstoppable. I found it pretty useful to use in large crowds especially in Rampage for challenge mode. I am able to kill of officers quickier with that then anything else.

Overall, I find Dian Wei to be a great character to use in battle.
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad22/Quanji/Fanbars/JLZ.png

Eh, I can't speak too highly for this guy to be honest, I've never been overly excited about him before, or after DW6.

His slower movement is bothersome, I don't really enjoy using characters slower by foot, and I find his prior weapon to lack range, and his new one to lack that real officer killing ability. I also can't stand his Musou attack in DW6, it ends with those powerful, but oh so slow bursts which normally get's defended, and since it's a slow recovery you aren't even guaranteed to get in the next hit as the enemy officer has enough time to recover after having their guard broken. >.>

Either that, or I don't use him properly, I did manage to finish his story modes in both DW5 & DW6 though, and I'm still not that keen on him.

I never really liked Dian Wei either. He was so boring to use. Although, his new weapon was really cool. The ball on the chain is really cool but i still think he isn't that fun of a character to use.

Last edited by CuckooBanana; 16-07-09 at 10:28 PM.

how funny would it be if in DW7 they gave him a fan lol but i totaly agree Dian Wei is useless

Meh, sure is a lot of Dian Wei haters.
    I, on the other hand like him a lot. You'll see learn that his moveset is really not so bad when properly leveled up. Far better than Zhang Fei atleast. I think why most people don't like him or have a certain opinion about him is because he didn't take part in a lot of important battles since he died so early. There are plenty of characters worse than him........

I think that the good point for Dian Wei in DW6 is that he's a character quite unique. No other has the type of weapon he uses, so, in a game dominated for sword, maces and spear fighters, he is a good option for variety. The problem is that he has a moveset so hard to use effectivly. He's slow as an arthritic gramps, his attacks have the range of a pocketnife, and his musou attack is nothing really great, specially the last attacks where he throws up his weapon an does that farting-like explosions. The recovery time is so long that you won't be able to get advantage of the guard crush you could have done to enemies surrounding you.

But not everything is bad about him. In his favor I have to say that he has incredible efecctivness with his special; he will gain inmense attack strength that will crush officers in no time, even the mighty Lu Bu. Other very good thing of him is the last string of his regular attacks at max renbu level. In my opinion they're maybe the best series of attacks of the entire game, second only to Xiao Qiao's full renbu.

I think that with practice, the use of skill-type weapons, and a good balance of charge attacks, normal attacks, guard cancel and roll evading I've come to become a good Dian Wei player.

Definitely, he is not an easy character to master, neither a balanced one. And I don't take back my words, I still think he needs further development in his new weapon moveset. But for the time being I would say that for patient and methodic players he can be an interesting character to play with.

Love his Mad Bull hand axe, disappointed greatly when they gave him the old ball and chain to throw around in DW6. I get fairly annoyed when KOEI changes some of the unique weapons in the game, even if its to another unique weapon. I know change = excitement but sometimes its good to leave well enough alone.

The only good changes I've seen over the years was Yue Ying's arm blade, Zhou Yu's Staff, Sima yi's gloves, Cao Pi's long sword, and Gan Ning's double kinves.

As for the bad, there's a bunch so I won't list them all but just a few notable ones. Wei Yan's switch to a Xu Zhu like weapon, Zhang He's switch to a spear, SSX's switch to a pure (boring) bow, and Sun Ce's switch to a spear.

Thread Information