Thread: Dynasty warriors improvements

Default Dynasty warriors improvements

Now i know that there is alot of improvements here but if u take the time to trawl through them and let me no wot u think i'd appreciate it.
    How to improve on dynasty warriors

Since dynasty warriors 4 the series has gone downhill a little with reviews stating that the game has little developments, fans of the series have also said this type of thing yet Koei have done very little about the issue. In my opinion the series is still great and the developments are good ones generally however there just aren’t enough differences from game to game. The changes done to dynasty warriors are the sort of things that other games are able to do in patches. Below are some changes that I feel Koei should make that would make for a bigger change in the series and hopefully other people will back me up on these ideas. The improvements are split into different categories listed here
    •Characters (anything to do with the characters in the game e.g. attack moves etc)
    •Game modes ( to do with the game modes such as musou mode or free mode)
    •Game play (in battle play e.g. the AI etc)
    •Other ( any other improvements/changes that don’t fit into the above categories)

Characters
    Firstly a point that I think that 99% of dynasty warriors fans will agree with me on is simply bring back axed characters and maybe introduce some more. It is hard to further the game when key characters such as Jiang Wei and Meng Huo have been axed from the game; you end up losing access to battles such as the southern campaign and the battle of Jie ting because of the loss of these characters. Also the characters need to have their own attack sets again because in dynasty warriors 6 most characters had the same attack set as one other character in the game. On the same note characters need to have their own unique musou at least otherwise this is a big step backwards for the series. Next I feel that the introduction of the upgrade tree’s was a good move but needs to be executed better, rather than have every ability cost just 1 skill point have some better abilities cost more like 5 skill points or for the very best 20 skill points and players may need to save up over several battles to get the very best abilities in the game. This brings me nicely onto my next point on characters but perhaps the most important point, the characters abilities need to be more unique, as it stands I could spend any amount of time upgrading characters and eventually they would have exactly the same stats or incredibly similar stats. The game needs to split player abilities into different skills, ideas are listed below.
    • Life ( the length of the health bar)
    • Musou ( the length or strength of the musou attack)
    • Basic attack ( the amount of damage dealt by the characters attack)
    • Attack reach (the attack range of the character)
    • Attack speed ( the speed of the characters attacks)
    • Defence ( the basic defence of the character how much damage they take from attacks)
    • Bow defence ( the amount of defence the character has against arrows)
    • Speed ( how fast the character moves)

In addition to this character should specialize into a couple of these categories when upgraded, for example Zhao Yun when upgraded could have a high attack speed and good attacks reach and Zhuge Liang could have a good musou but have weaker defence and life stats. This means that when all characters are upgraded there is still a choice between characters other than their attack sets. As it stands the only reason to choose one character over another is the attack sets for that character. The tome idea in dynasty warriors 6 is a nice addition but there needs to be more tome abilities which are better related to the character for example you could have a tome ability that decreases the morale of all enemy troops nearby, an example of an officer that would suit this would be Lu Bu.
    This concludes my ideas on how Koei could improve the characters side of dynasty warriors; let me know if you agree with my ideas.
    Last edited by Qing Long; 20-02-09 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Double & more posts >> 5 Posts O_o

Game modes
    For this section I feel that Koei have done okay, the free mode works well in most cases. The improvements to be made here begin with the musou mode, there needs to be more characters that players can take into musou mode and follow their stories or Koei can take a leaf from dynasty warriors 4 and bring back the kingdom mode option and tweak it a little so that you can only be certain officers in each battle in the timeline to help keep the game a bit more real. For example you can pick any officer that would actually appear in that battle so you couldn’t be Cao Cao in the battle of Wu Zhang plains or Wei Yan in the yellow turban rebellion. Another change to musou mode which again I feel would go down well with other fans of the series would be increasing the games timeline. So instead of making the last battle in the game Wu Zhang plains in 236 A.D include battles such as the fall of Shu and Wu, the northern campaigns for Shu. This will help to cut down on the repletion of the game a problem which I felt was a killer for dynasty warriors 6.
    Another new mode that I feel although not a huge brand new never before seen, well you get the idea is the skirmish mode. In this mode you can choose any battlefield that you’ve already completed in musou mode and select any officers you want to fight in the battle. For those that have played Dynasty warriors 5 empires just think of the free play mode in that. A very similar idea where the user can set up two teams, or 3 if Koei keep the third army idea, to fight on any unlocked battlefield and each officer has troop amounts. It’s not necessary but it would go a long way to making the game better and less repetitive.
    Okay here is the big one which I think should most definitely be on Koei’s list anyway, online. And I don’t mean stupid scoreboards for the challenge mode I mean actually sticking players in lobbies where they can compete with players from across the world in their favourite battle fields. This I feel is an important addition so I’ll go into more detail here.

First to cover the basic online game play, the controls should all remain the same as there is no need to change them here, when a player dies they have the option to tail another player as a spectator or spectate through various battle cams on each battlefield. Sounds a little boring if you die early on in the battle and the others seem to be in a deadlock I know, so if you do die you also have the option to fight on as another unused officer (if there are any) or as a simple troop on the battlefield. The troops you can play as should include archer spearman and swordsman the three basic weapon types in the game. These troops will obviously not be nearly as strong as officers so players should not feel that they can go storming the enemy lines with a spearman and hope to attain glory. Your stats such as k.o’s and combo’s etc however will not be stored for these extra chances given so basically once you die your stats are shown for that life only not any others. Or if they don’t care the player can just leave the game altogether once they die, their stats will be stored so that they can be viewed at the end they just won’t be in the lobby when the battle ends.
    When the player chooses their officer the officer should receive exp at the end of the battle and level up separately to characters used in the main game. In this way the player can achieve ranks with officers online and upgrade them to play better in battles online.
    Three different online modes co-op, historic mode and skirmish, the first mode, co-op kind of speaks for itself, players can be joined by other people from around the world to help with the musou mode. Up to 4 players can play in this way which should be enough for the mode to be worthwhile and not too many that it becomes insane on the battlefield.
    The second one historic mode features players joining a lobby and fighting one of the battles from the game with other players on both sides. So for example I join the yellow turban rebellion battle with another mate online I decide to join the yellow turban side and my mate joins the Han forces, I then have to choose from the officers available on the yellow turbans to play as in the battle and my mate has to choose an officer from the Han forces. Once all players are ready we jump into the battle and fight it out to see who the winner is. The lobbies should include player hosted matches where the player can weak settings such as the battle they play, the AI difficulty etc and servers already set up by Koei to include at least one of every battle with standard settings applied.
    The final online game mode is skirmish. This is similar to the offline game mode I mentioned earlier, the host simply picks a battlefield, time settings etc and other players join the game everyone can pick their own officer to play as in the battle. Before anyone mentions it, I think that Koei can choose whether or not the same officer can appear more than once in the battle, it really wouldn’t make a huge change for me so I don’t really care either way. (That is assuming that they follow the character adjustments mentioned above). Once the battle is over everyone returns to the lobby and can leave or stay if they wish until the next game starts.
    I think that just about covers game modes but remember the online Koei its part of the gaming revolution keep up or be left behind I’m afraid. The other game modes such as challenge mode are good (though challenge mode could do with a few more challenges) and don’t really need adjusting all that much. You could perhaps bring back the versus mode but if you implement online mode why would you need to really.

Game play
    Most of the changes that affect game play are made in the characters section however there are some modifications that might further the game that little bit more. Firstly the AI, the change that needs making here is only small, in dynasty warriors 6 I found that if you wanted to face a smart AI you had to go on the harder difficulties. Now supposing that I played on easy and normal where no enemy did anything interesting just sat there killing, I then move up to hard and master difficulty now I face much stronger troops and I now have to deal with the all new AI which now start breaking through my lines and occasionally chase me across the battlefield. Now I can deal with this increase in difficulty, but not everyone can this could go some way to making the game less accessible. My suggestion is that this AI that we see on the harder difficulties is great and actually makes the battle seem more realistic but it needs to be seen at lower difficulties like easy and normal. This way when players start playing they don’t have to go on the insanely hard difficulties just to see the good AI in action.
    The renbu combat system worked well I feel but it wasn’t necessary to put the renbu meter in, this could come under character improvements but I forgot to mention so I’m putting it here. Characters should be able to use these endless moves from the beginning, to unlock more combos to use they can purchase them from the skill tree. A brand new feature that would go down well is an awe meter, let me explain, when the player gets more kills AI will respond appropriately, for example if I were to get 1000 k.o’s then when walking near my allies I will be cheered and applauded but when I walk near small groups of enemies they will cower and if I get enough kills may even run away from me. It’s only a small change but an interesting one I feel.
    Next another small change, players should have the ability to control their troops better, I don’t mean the whole army I only mean the troops that the players officer would normally control in the battle. The player should be able to tell their troops to rally with the player or to attack nearby enemies or defend their position, simple commands like this could make a huge difference to the battle. The idea I suppose is similar to dynasty warriors 5 empires where the player could give orders to the army, but in this case it should be on a smaller scale and Koei can take advantage of better AI to help make this work. The final point to make on game play is that the battle objectives should vary more in battles, at the moment 9 times out of 10 they are simply kill the enemy leader. Introducing objectives such as just taking the castle or breaking through a key point to more battles would add to the variation. For example in the battle of Hu Lao gate Dong Zhuo does not historically die so the objective can be changed to simply breaking through Hu Lao gate rather than kill Dong Zhuo.

And finnally a really short section. hoorah. if u read the rest then you deserve a medal really..
    Other
    Last but not least the niggly bits of the game. First and foremost this again should be on the minds of Koei already but just to reinforce the point , put TROPHIES in the game. Point made. Next the graphics for the officers are good but when it comes to troops on the battlefield it falls short, if the troops could look just that little more detailed then it would help to raise the overall look of the game.
    If you have any questions or need explanation on any of the points then feel free to ask. ( I’m not very good at explaining so it might need explaining better)

There're already a thread about Dynasty Warriors Ideas here >> http://www.koei.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=380
    I don't think it's necessary to have 2 threads, sorry, plus why do you 5x posted O__o, there's a Edit Button in the right of your message, please use it in the future, thanks!
    Blog Officiel de TECMO KOEI France

http://u.jimdo.com/www32/o/s79eea1ce...humb/image.jpg

Sorry for my bad English, please, forgive my mistakes and
    /or feel free to correct it, thank you ~

Thread Information