Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to get Bladestorm

Thumbs up Reasons to get Bladestorm

Okay. I'd like you, yes you to explain to me and anyone else interested in getting Bladestorm why, why we should get it, why it's so brilliant.
    Thanks sunshine.

It was a nice distraction from me playing the Warriors titles, so please read this:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/253268/1/

Of course, once you have done, feel free to ask me more here. If you had or had not decided.

It was a nice distraction from me playing the Warriors titles, so please read this:
    For me it's a must have because when you get the hang of it. The pace is higher and there is more opptunities for experimentation with the different troop types.

Also the the soundtrack is absolutely superb ^^

Yes, the soundtrack is great, its a great way to get away from the Warriors games
    And also, the gameplay, once you get into it, is really really fun, sure you need to do a few tedious battles at the start, but after that, its just awsome

As for reasons...if you want a more strategically based game, this has the strategic element in it that can really get you to think, and not just about where and when your taking over enemy bases...you have to think about unit types, strengths and weaknesses, and how you plan to attack its quite full of strategy ^^

The characters and their voices are quite good, even though some of them might get a bit annoying after a while ^^ but thats a small price to pay for the rest of the game

Default Look at the size of that thing

The key thing about Bladestorm is the sense of scale - battles take days, it IS possible to ride from one corner of a region's map to the other in a day, but if you spend very long in the first corner, you'll probably not achieve much by the time you get to the other corner. There's also the sense of scale offered by fighting over towns and cities rather than nameless walled enclosures.

With the large battlefield, and longer contacts, it is even possible to spend a "day off" practicing with a unfamiliar unit in a distant corner of the battlefield without too much fear of falling afoul of one of the enemy's big-hitters

Alternatively, you can spend a day or even two attacking the cities on the flank of the main assault to give a buffer-zone against counter attacks.

As long as your side achieves the contracted goals within the alloted time, there is more latitude as to how you go about it. There is none of the Warriors Series infamous "what do you mean my leader's gone and wandered off into the heart of the battle and got himself killed".

Other than not achieving the contracted goals, the only no-no is getting your character ("the mercenary") wounded so badly he/she has to retire from the battle (the nearest Bladestorm comes to death). You make think that there is little chance of that with an entire unit of cavalry at your personal disposal, but charge those cavalry into massed long spears more than once, and you soon realize how vulnerable you can be if you get it wrong.

There is no single unit type that does not have another "nemesis" unit somewhere out there on the battlefield, so achieving the contracted goals is rarely a matter of charging single-handedly (or even single squad-edly) into the heart of the battle like the Warriors series. It frequently involves attacking along with several other squads and taking out their nemesis while hoping that they take out your nemesis - and being prepared to retreat back to the nearest friendly city if it all goes wrong.

Just had your swordsmen massacred by a unit of halberds? Retreat and try to find a rapier unit to command. Don't have the skills to command them yet? Look for an archery unit to pick them off from a distance. Eventually there are something like 20 different type of units, and several of these have three, four, or more different subtypes. You may only control one character in the game, but by commanding different squads, that character can fight with more weapons in a day than say 10 different Warriors characters. The only limitation is sort of like the A-Team - first you've got to find them.

So, if the mainline Warriors is for One-Man armies, and the Empires series is for Leaders, Bladestorm is for the middle ranks - they don't get to choose their goals, but once given their goals, they can do it any way that works.
    Last edited by civiliza; 17-04-09 at 03:09 AM.

i've been contemplatingwhether i shouldget thisgame,its a bit of a puzzle forme. i love this sortofgamebuti need to keep my record of only DW games or DW related (asit stands at the moment)
    i dont lie, i bend the truth

the only unchangeable thing is that things change.

http://www.thegamehomepage.com/stupidity/0.gif

I absolutely LOVE Bladestorm! I've got it on Xbox 360 and have buried at least 90 hours into it - and I'm still yet to get the last two Achievements! They may take me a while, I don't get the chance to play it as often as I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDragonZ View Post
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/253268/1/

Of course, once you have done, feel free to ask me more here. If you had or had not decided.
    the review was great but it lacks some material such as images/viedos/short gameplay/etc because basiclly all of it was writing

Quote Originally Posted by fize4ever View Post
    the review was great but it lacks some material such as images/viedos/short gameplay/etc because basiclly all of it was writing
    Thats the point of a review though, if you want screenshots, gameplay videos and the like, there is always the official Bladestorm site, and you can also try looking on either this site or the Koei Warriors main site...there should be what you're looking for there.

Thank you.

Yes, like GLP has said, it's more valuable to concern yourself on the text first. I know what you mean though, the likes of Gamespot/IGN etc give you pictures, but these reviews and FAQs of mine merely intend for forum use.

On the site where these are hosted as well though, there're some pictures to keep things more lively and interesting, even in the voice actor interview section.

http://www.koeiwarriors.co.uk

Thread Information