Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shallow reviews like this hurt Koei games overseas

Default Shallow reviews like this hurt Koei games overseas

I just got the latest issue of PSM3, a UK based playstation magazine that well frankly has long since gone from being an impartial reviewer to a Killzone 2 fanboyish style Sony lovefest. They have a review section, and then this tiny 2 page review section that does about 1 paragraph of review text for an entire game regardless of quality, they simply give more space to the games they think are better and thus lost alot of my trust in them. Anyway here is the tiny review they gave Dynasty warrios Gundam 2:

However you dress it up, this is exactly the same Dynasty Warriors game KOEI has been vomiting out on a regular basis since 2000. You still run around a battlefield smashing [] as fast as possible to take down wave after wave of faceless enemies. It wasn't that that thrilling eight years ago, and now-unless you're obsessive compulsive - it's actively irritating having to press the same buttons and complete the same missions over and over again. There are bags of modes, including multiplayer options, but they're all identical once it comes down to the action. You kill some grunts, fight a boss, then move to a different part of the map to off more soldiers. If you're lucky there will be a giant Optimus Prime rip-off to fight at the end of the last stage. The only real feature to recommend the game is the fantastic art direction, which follows that of the anime series very closely. Have you seen the anime? No, we haven't either. Fail.

Now really I know this is only one persons opinion compared to say the Eurogamer review which was favourable, and why was that? Probably because they played it for more than 30 minutes and got a good idea of what was new compared to previous titles and could see the effort that was put in. No game is perfect of course, but they are all repetitive in some form or another. Also does anyone remember Optimus Prime being the size of the Destroy Gundam? Or Psycho gundam lol, just nitpicking there but funny none the less. Its just a little annoying to see mags give games like this a cursory glance and then bury it, before switching to the next overly hyped game and giving that glowing reviews. Anyway rant off, and sorry mods if posting this review is against any rules, just remove it if thats the case.

People like this must not write about game based on anime license. They didn't watch any Gundam? Don't review this game, let someone else do it.

This has been happening since DW3. Not much can be done about it.

The bad part is that Insp. Chin and our PR team spent alot of time demostrating the game to the magazines for DWG2 because we believe in the quality of that game alot. And the reviews are still the same -_-. That's why we worked so hard on koei.co.uk, London Expos, Minis-sites etc. to try and make a place that offers an alternative opinion to the hardcore gaming media about Musou.

I remember before DW4's release, there was only a few lines for it with a tiny modified picture of Sun Jian in a duel. Can't remember the mag name though.

I don't know what's like now, but I see the word ''fail'' in a magazine as a bit arrogant, not very professional-like. I just haven't bought a videogame magazine in years, the Internet is far more appropriate to me now.

It is reviews and people like this that makes me distrust a lot of these so called "Professional Opinions" and this isnt the first time a KOEI game has been given some cr@p because of the reviewers thinking in the DW/SW mindset. BLADESTORM also copped a bit of it -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleDragonZ
    I don't know what's like now, but I see the word ''fail'' in a magazine as a bit arrogant, not very professional-like. I just haven't bought a videogame magazine in years, the Internet is far more appropriate to me now.
    Really, thats what it seems like, arrogance. They are just using their position and 'power' to push their opinion, quite an overly biased one at that. The solution to reviews like this? well, an easy one is to just not read any reviews at all, and just try game for yourself, thats usually what I do...also, the magazines should try to at least be generous and give a few reviews with different standpoints, just to give readers a review from both sides...although I highly doubt that would happen

It's not like they hate the game. It's more like they don't know how the game works. Warriors series are meant to be like sweeping and blasting all the enemies away and release your stress from work or school. Most of the reviewers they thought enemies are easy and not aggressive enough because they played it on EASY mode for the first stage of the game, but when they choose the HARD mode, they get owned then don't want to start it again, because they think it's boring and it's all square hack and slashing without noticing that you can dash with X button, charge and so many variety of moves in the game.

Some of the journalists they're just plagiarizing from the other game sites, if one of the biggest game sites say it's another Warriors games and it's not good, they'll do the same. You can judge from what they wrote from those poor reviews, you'll probably realize they didn't mention much but saying "oh it's another hack and slashing but this one is robots" I think they're just busy, don't have enough time to play or try the games they never tried before. Even they tried the game for like 15 minutes they gave up, they didn't know you can do a lot of things but not just smashing SQUARE buttons. You can judge it based on their screens/gameplay, they didn't check the movelist at all. They didn't get the concept of Warriors that sweeping all the peons away, level up, gain more skills, they never tried to do that.

And the hardest thing is in Western, Gundam isn't that popular, if Gundam is as popular as Star Wars in the Western, perhaps they will try for another 15 minutes But like I said, different people got different tastes and perspectives for the game, we still have some good ones from other valuable journalists like the guys from Eurogamer.net and Destructoid.com that played the game for 10+ hours, understand how it works and share the joy, unlike the one that did in less than 10 minutes

But we've already tried our best

AND ONE MORE THING!! WE HAVE A DWG2 CONTEST COMING UP!!!! ALWAYS CHECK OUR BLOG :3 :3 http://koei.co.uk/blog/dwg2/?id=71

OMG CONTEST. I wanna play *_*

The contest sounds funky

Well I am glad I didn't come off as a fanboy ranting as I am sure it may have looked originally. I posted because it was just so negative on almost every level and as stated above arrogant of a so called reviewer. I find the internet as far as sites like IGN, Gametrailers and the such are just like any magazine reviewer in that they act very biased toward certain games. But the internet is better for getting a players opinion and really thats what I go on more than any review.

I am just glad that these games prove they are more than "repetitive" and "irritating" by garnering a solid base of fans who see what a good game is, and not what a good advertiser thinks is a good game.

The only real feature to recommend the game is the fantastic art direction, which follows that of the anime series very closely. Have you seen the anime? No, we haven't either. Fail.
    With the last couple lines they finished the so called "review", they just prove how ignorant and non-seriously they were towards reviewing the game and using the world "Fail" didn't help at all. It was probably a rushed; "lets make a little review to make them at least noticed" If KOEI warriors games in general are that bad, why the series are well known and atracts so many fans all over the world nowadays? It also boosts great knowledge and interest towards Japanese and Chinese history's as equal.

Maybe the gameplay is almost the same with every game with added features, but aren't almost all the games that evolve from their previous titles the same? Soccer games, FPS, RPG's, etc.

I like to see reviews toward games I take interest into, but magazines such as these that don't take their job seriously aren't worth our time or money.

PS: Sorry if this post offended anyone.

BTW; Contest looks nice.

Thread Information