Thread: Valkyrie Profile Series

Default Valkyrie Profile Series

The Valkyrie Profile series is loosely based on Norse Mythology, where you the player generally assumes the role of a Valkyrie. The purpose of the Valkyrie is to search for souls of the recently deceased and prepares their souls to become Einherjar and fight in with Odin and his army in Valhalla.

Clearly not your typical RPG concept, and it's one that tends to appear to older RPG gamers as they have a darker undertone to them. Gameplay wise Valkyrie Profile has many RPG aspects, which generally features a unique battle system with a tactical/action blend.

To date there are two main titles, one re-release with added content and one spinoff.

- Valkyrie Profile, 1999/2000 (PSX)
    - Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, 2006/2007 (PSP) *Re-release*
    - Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, 2006/2007 (PS2)
    - Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, 2008/2008 (DS) *Spinoff*

This thread can be for discussion of any game in tri-Ace's Valkyrie Profile series.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Whats this like, it comes out on Thursday in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Onislash View Post
    Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Whats this like, it comes out on Thursday in Australia.
    I'm not entirely sure, as I also live in Australia and have to wait until then to play it.

Although what I do know is, it will be the first time in the series where the main character is not a Valkyrie, and this time actually fights against one in Lenneth. I'm interested to see how it will unfold from a different angle like that.

I loved the first two though, so I'm expecting it to be pretty decent, even if it's only on NDS. ^^

- Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, 2006/2007 (PSP) *Re-release*
    I've been playing this. i really like it, i love the way the theme has been interpretted in Square's style. Character design is a winner as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leady FF ^^ View Post
    I've been playing this. i really like it, i love the way the theme has been interpretted in Square's style. Character design is a winner as well.

I'm trying to hunt this down at the moment. I always wanted to play the psx version but no way was i paying £70 -£80 for it on ebay. So is it as good as Silmeria? I love the second one.

<a href=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3483/blank1500x141.jpg target=_blank>http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3...nk1500x141.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by silvertongue View Post
    I'm trying to hunt this down at the moment. I always wanted to play the psx version but no way was i paying £70 -£80 for it on ebay. So is it as good as Silmeria? I love the second one.

Yeah, you'll have to pay an arm and probably even a leg to get the PSX version, it's very rare. You should be able to find Lenneth, try online shopping via major gaming stores if you have a credit card - that's usually a safe bet with older games.

Is it as good as Silmeria? Well yes absolutely, but in a different way. Silmeria is a more traditional style RPG compared to Lenneth (believe it or not).

In Lenneth you still play as a Valkyrie - Lenneth of course, getting through dungeons is still on the 2D style perspective to navigate, a few other characters also feature in it, such as Freya, Arngrim Odin & Lezard.

Progression is much different though, in Lenneth you search from afar for what to do next, and the game is split up with periods & chapters, meaning there is effectively a time limit on your game. You have to be more efficient when visiting towns and dungeons or you risk wasting them, which can put you behind a bit. You can't do shopping anymore either, instead you use materilize points - which you generally get at the end of each chapter from Freya to create new items and weapons.

It's similar, but also so different - almost making it hard to explain at times, but I think that's why I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayt View Post
    Yeah, you'll have to pay an arm and probably even a leg to get the PSX version, it's very rare. You should be able to find Lenneth, try online shopping via major gaming stores if you have a credit card - that's usually a safe bet with older games.

Is it as good as Silmeria? Well yes absolutely, but in a different way. Silmeria is a more traditional style RPG compared to Lenneth (believe it or not).

In Lenneth you still play as a Valkyrie - Lenneth of course, getting through dungeons is still on the 2D style perspective to navigate, a few other characters also feature in it, such as Freya, Arngrim Odin & Lezard.

Progression is much different though, in Lenneth you search from afar for what to do next, and the game is split up with periods & chapters, meaning there is effectively a time limit on your game. You have to be more efficient when visiting towns and dungeons or you risk wasting them, which can put you behind a bit. You can't do shopping anymore either, instead you use materilize points - which you generally get at the end of each chapter from Freya to create new items and weapons.

It's similar, but also so different - almost making it hard to explain at times, but I think that's why I love it.
    I'm so looking forward to playing this.

Well i finally got my hands on VP Lenneth today. I can't wait to start playing it!
    Last edited by silvertongue; 18-04-09 at 03:44 PM.
    <a href=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3483/blank1500x141.jpg target=_blank>http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3...nk1500x141.jpg</a>

I've finished Covenant of the Plume now. It's certainly one of the more unique tactical RPG's you'll ever play - in terms of both story and gameplay.

The story is definitely a little twisted and dark, where Wyl has made a pact to kill the Valkyrie - and events thereafter are a mere means to an end, you can even sacrifice your allies to make yourself stronger. Quite the opposite to a typical save the world plot.

The battles are tactical with your turn then the enemies turn, like any tactical RPG. But the Valkyrie Profile element is still there, you can pack up in a group of four to beat the hell out of your opponent and use Soul Crush with a full attack gauge. All which serves as a means to overkill your enemy to reach Hel's "Sin" requirement – which yields quality items as your reward post battle.

Crazy concept, and rather unlike the prior titles of the series, but that's what makes it all the more appealing. Anyone else played it, what do you think?

I've finished Covenant of the Plume now. It's certainly one of the more unique tactical RPG's you'll ever play - in terms of both story and gameplay.
    I'm stuck on Covenant of the Plume, I can do the level I'm on if I sacrifice someone... but I want to get through without having to do it

It's been awhile since I played it, all I remember is I have to save some woman but she allways dies on the 2nd turn
    Disperse, loyal battle monkeys! Do my bidding and bust a cap!
    - Overlord Zetta: Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome

Thread Information